How's the Helm Balance on S37 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Oct 16, 2006
- - USA
I'm considering an S37 but haven't had a chance to go out on one yet. One of the things I'd really like to hear from owners about, is how is the helm balance? If you trim the sails properly, can you walk away from the helm and expect the boat to hold her course & sail herself? It may sound unbelieveable, I know, but there are some boats that will do that on most points of sail--if you've got the rig & the sails balanced properly. With others, it just never happens. How does the S37 fit in there? How does she handle at sea in general, in different conditions?

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
S37

Hey Red, I just bought a S37. Left Keyport NJ last Friday, heading for New Orleans. I moved up from an S2 8.5. Lots of differences and I do not have enough experience with the boat yet to completely answer your question, as all our weather so far has been so calm we motor sailed, or too nasty to play around any. I can tell you that the boat, so far, sails very well, under the conditions we have encountered. There does not seem to be a lot of weather helm, and it tracks pretty darn good. Today we had about 15 knots from dead astern. Following sea, and plenty of rolling around. Since I am too old to get up on deck and pull a main down and tie it up, sailed with just the jib. Boat was pretty easy to control, made good speed, ( 6 knots ), and overall was impressive under the conditions. I have so far found nothing I can't live with. They reportedly have a tendancy to blister, and the reports indicate the rudder bushings are prone to wear out. That is the only negatives I have been able to find out about. Think I am really going to like this boat.

May 11, 2005
By the way

REd, Feel free to ask anything I might be able to help you with. You can post up here, or email me direct at sailaway_78@hotmail.com. I use a cell phone hook up to get on line, so can't always answer real promptly, but will answer.

Red

Oct 16, 2006
- - USA
Missed the boat.<G>

Thanks, Keyport *would* have been not so far from me, LA considerably further. Too calm or too nasty, yes, that's about right for NJ this time of year. Are you heading offshore at some point, or "driving the bus" down the ICW? Rudder bushings, well, in the big picture that's something that can be dealt with. One of the places where no one looks so I suspect many builders didn't pay a lot of attention to them, certainly not looking for 40-year solutions.<G> What gremlins *did* you find? (And is there something I'm not seeing, that will send me email notifications when a reply is posted to a message?)

Apr 26, 2006
- - Lagoon City, Ontario
Great Boat

Hi I have had Lady Simcoe since 1996 and have taken her south to Trinidad and back from Canada lived on her for 2 years. Mine is the 37' shoal draft with short mast. I race here regularly on Lake Simcoe. Usually place and won the club Regatta again this year my mate won the Ladies helm this year. She is a lively boat I have her out fitted with a genniker which makes her very competative especially when we get a long reach. However the regatta was short legged so we didn't fly the genniker. Still took two 1st and a 2nd. The rudder bushing leaks and I have been replacing the head liner. Have put her away for the winter here but if you have any specific questions please do not hesitate to get intouch. Gord

May 11, 2005
Red

Have now done the Jersey coast offshore, Deleware and Chesapeake bays, and the boat is very good. Were semi surfing monday, off the mouth of the Potomac, with some pretty gusty winds, but the boat did well. Keeps you busy with the helm under those circumstances, but not a real problem. I would tell you to jump on that boat, if you like it. As far as strength and sailing performance, don't think you can go wrong.

D

David Utzschneider

s37 a good boat

Red the s37 sails well and is balanced. I may be selling my totally rebuilt s37 next spring so if you're near baltimore feel free to give me a call david utzschneider impetuous 443-254-5749

Status
Not open for further replies.