How wide can your boat be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick A

I am planning to move my boat and may have a trailer available to do so but do I need special permits, etc. as my boat is 10' across the beam?

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
Anything over 8'6" needs a permit in most states

I think. abe

D

Don

The Answer Is...

a definte maybe. Federal law says that anything over 102" (8.5') is overwidth. However, every state seems to have different rules with widths between 8.5' and 12'. Traveling state vs federal roads or two lane vs. interstate will make a difference as well. You may get by with just "wide load" signs or may be required to have pilot cars. Check with your state's Department of Trasportation, Highway Patrol or pull into a "truck weigh station" in the area you plan to travel and ask. They can give you the "offical" rules. Good Luck

A

Andy

Need a waiver

I was looking into the same thing earlier - previous boat. My route from RI to CA definitely required a waiver, not a big deal but you will need it. special markings but no that hard all in all. As long as you are not overheight you are ok. BTW I think that 12' beam requires a "follow" car. You are not in that catagory luckily. Would not recommend trying to beat the waiver, I suspect it would be a fine that would buy a few tickets to the secret policeman's other ball.

D

Dana M26D

List by province

It's between 8 and 9 feet, varying between each province or state. Some ststes allow wider trailers on federal highways. The 'Related Link' below has a very comprehensive list. I don't know what they mean by showing two width columns, but I've sent an email to them asking for info. Another more basic list is at: http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/laws.asp They include most state phone numbers for Wide Trailer Permits.

D

Dana M26D

Better list.

AEMFG replied to my email and recommended a site with a better list than theirs. It includes all dimensional, weight and brake info by state/province.

B

Bob

Options

OK, now that we know the reg.s, does anyone know of a list of boats sorted by beam rather than LOA? I've got a Mac 25 and would like a longer boat at or under 8' beam without going to water ballast. Suggestions?

JCAL

Dec 14, 2008
Hunter 27, 1990 Lake Charles
State Permit

Rick State laws very from state to state, do not know where you want to move your boat or what ste however contact your State DOT office and ask the question. a permit should be issued for a fee, Fees very from state to state, $10.00 in LA, $15.00 in Miss, Texas wanted to charge me $120.00 however I just went without it. My boat is a H27, 9' beam. No problems. Most states want you to file a route plan with them so be prepared to provide that. Interstate max beam is 8'6" however we have never been stopped and know of others who have travled across country with their H27 in tow. Good Luck.

J

jr

also be aware of town permits

Last year I purchased a C-30 out of Vermont. I was surprised to find out that the town I moved it from required a permit to move the boat through the town! What a rip off, it was also a 2 day delay in moving the boat to get that permit. Just be aware of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.