How tuff is it to flip a hunter 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Damian

Just curiuos how hard it is to flip over a hunter 23 in high winds or waves. I'm pretty new to sailing and I own a 23 with a winged keel and never really tested it out as far as letting it lean over. Is there a point while leaning it will stop or if I let it will it go over completly?

R

Ray Bowles

Damiam, when we started sailing we worried

about the same thing. We have a 95 H26 we bought a year ago. We started sailing for the first time just after this purchase. We were fortunate enough to have family and friends that taught us alot. If a Hunter 26 was possible to turn turtle, then I tried every way that I could stumble across to do just that thing. When I realized that the boat had a greater desire to stay upright than our misplaced attempts to turn it over

J

Jon Bastien

Not very easy.

I won't say impossible, as Mr. Murphy always seems to be looking over my shoulder when I'm replying to this question, but it isn't easy to turtle this boat. I have heeled mine to the point where the rub rail (the black strip around the outer edge of the boat) spent a little time in the water, but it was VERY windy that day, and I the boat was trying to tell me I had too much sail up. When the boat heels this much, it tends to lift the rudder out of the water and the boat will turn itself into the wind. Don't worry about the heel too much- Soon, it will become an enjoyable part of sailing! --Jon Bastien H25 'Adagio' (formerly a H23 owner)

Status
Not open for further replies.