How to use forward hatch for ventilation at dock

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
I came back to my boat after about a month away and found some mold growing in the fully enclosed cockpit and cavity between the anchor locker and v-berth. I've now opened up access panels to the forward cavity as well as removed the back center panel of my enclosure, and am looking for the best way to ventilate and circulate air in the cabin and other areas to avoid mold. I opened up a small beckson hatch facing into the cockpit from the aft cabin (with screen attached). As my dinghy is currently stored on the foredeck, covering the forward hatch, the easiest thing to do now seems to be to use the forward hatch for a forward ventilation point.

Is there any simple way to use this hatch for ventilation? There is not an immediately apparent way to attach a screen to the hatch to keep bugs out. That seemed like one option. Either way I'd like to install a Nicro day/night vent, but that won't get any sunlight under the dinghy. Would it be possible to hardwire that with a switch to create airflow from the forward hatch when stored with the dinghy blocking sunlight?

I also saw these screens on Defender, though I can't tell what make of hatch I have to determine their fit. Is there an easy way to determine my hatch maker in order to fit it for such a screen?

Looking for possibilities here...

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
A common practice for screens is to sew strips of Velcro to the screen edges and then adhere self-adhesive Velcro around the hatch.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If it's for a quick fix, a simple roll of nylon screening from HD or Lowes will work and not cost much. Cut with scissors so it overlaps the hatch opening and weight it down - or tape it- to hold it in place.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My Beneteau had a combination shade/screen attached to the underside of the hatch frame.
You could each rolled up like a window shade from opposite ends, and had a magnetic latch. The unit could be 100% screen, 100% shade, or part shade/part screen. It was designed to fit a Lewmar hatch.
I don’t remember the brand, and I no longer have the boat.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My old boat came with some home-made bug screens for the hatches…similar to the Bomar ones referenced…some elastic sewn into the border. Works fine for keeping the bugs out when the hatch is open.
not as convenient as some of the built-in sliding screens as I have to open the hatch, then go up top and stretch it over the hatch frame. I don’t leave it there when I close the hatch.

Best of luck,

Greg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
A common practice for screens is to sew strips of Velcro to the screen edges and then adhere self-adhesive Velcro around the hatch.
I had this on my old boat but found it very challenging to to keep the side adhered to the boat in place. I now have the drape-over-the-top style linked above which are much easier to use.

I don't keep any hatches open but I do have two solar Nicro-vents which do help. Do you have any existing deck vents that could be replaced with a solar vent?

I've toyed with the idea of making a vent fan connected to the main battery but haven't found a good way to implement it yet. Someone here posted how they implemented a vent fan connected to the house battery that really improved the odor in the boat after being closed up for a while.

Feb 16, 2021
I had this on my old boat but found it very challenging to to keep the side adhered to the boat in place. I now have the drape-over-the-top style linked above which are much easier to use.

I don't keep any hatches open but I do have two solar Nicro-vents which do help. Do you have any existing deck vents that could be replaced with a solar vent?

I've toyed with the idea of making a vent fan connected to the main battery but haven't found a good way to implement it yet. Someone here posted how they implemented a vent fan connected to the house battery that really improved the odor in the boat after being closed up for a while.
I think I'll be going with the drop over weighted screen as that seems the quickest, easiest and most effecive short term route to create circulation while the boat isn't being used. Ideally I think I'd like to have the hatch closed and use solar Nicro vents that are also hardwired to a switch so they can run off the battery or the sun. I don't know if this exists though - maybe I should reach out to Marinco and see if they have any thoughts.

Feb 16, 2021
Thanks all, I will be purchasing the drop over netting linked above. Seems to have good reviews. A more secure method will have to be worked out for the long term, but this seems the way to go for now. Thanks!

Feb 16, 2021
I do like the idea of the Bomar style referenced above though - it seems potentially more secure than the drop over style. Is there any way to determine which manufacturer hatch I have? I have the measurements, but there seem to be a lot of different hatch style options for the Bomar screens, and I'd want to be sure to get the right one.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Our drop over screen is surprisingly secure, easily staying in place in 20+ knot winds.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I do like the idea of the Bomar style referenced above though - it seems potentially more secure than the drop over style. Is there any way to determine which manufacturer hatch I have? I have the measurements, but there seem to be a lot of different hatch style options for the Bomar screens, and I'd want to be sure to get the right one.
Biggest issue besides the size (easy to measure) is whether you have inside or outside hinges. I assume there are some sort of notches or something for the inside hinge version.

Greg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My log house main bathroom is not vented. We were exprience mold on the ceiling from shower condensation, so I bought an in-line vent to run through an upstairs closet and out through the roof above. I never got around to installing it, but in the mean time, I just mounted a small circulating fan that moved air across the ceiling. It actually does a great job. It just keeps the air moving in the bathroom and that keeps the ceiling beams dry. I will, someday, get the vent installed, but until then I have been mold free.

-Will

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My log house main bathroom is not vented. We were exprience mold on the ceiling from shower condensation, so I bought an online vent to run through an upstairs closet and out through the roof above. I never got around to installing it, but in the mean time, I just mounted a small circulating fan that moved air across the ceiling. It actually does a great job. It just keeps the air moving in the bathroom and that keeps the ceiling beams dry. I will, someday, get the vent installed, but until then I have been mold free.

-Will
:plus: I live in Haiku, HI, on the wet side of Maui. We had been warned by friends to expect mold issues in whatever house we built. We have found, though, that having ceiling fans in every room, and running them 24/7, we do not have any mold issues. In addition, we specified no door in our little walk-in closet, and we never close the door on the other closet. Ventilation, along with clean surfaces, is key to preventing mold.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Solar vent fan, runs when the sun shines. I added one after ten years of dealing with the moisture and was surprised of the results.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I added one after ten years of dealing with the moisture and was surprised of the results.
Ah Tom. Is this like one of those “cliff hanger” endings in a serial movie. I feel like I want to know what are the “surprise results”.

Does the wind from the fan bring rain squalls in doors on your parade? Or are you blessed with sunny dry cushions to lay back and enjoy without mold or mildew affecting the adult evening beverages.