How to stop creaking bulkheads?

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I have noticed that as our ‘08 h36 ages the bulkheads creak more. The sound seems to emanate from where they are seated in the fiberglass grooves in the hull. A little annoying while at anchor in light, rolling waves. Any ideas on how to quiet the creaking? I was thinking about spraying sailkote or a Teflon dry lube along the bulkhead/fiberglass joint, but wanted to see there is a better way. I think the bulkheads are just set in place With no/little glue, and are held tight when the deck was bonded to the hull.

Two other places this boat creaks are under the mast foot articulating joint (I dump water on it to stop that), and where the main sheet exits the boom (the sheet creaks as it slides on the polished insert in the boom opening).
Thanks All
Dan

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I solved my wood on fiberglass creaks by removing the offending wood parts and then sanding the rub points to create a small clearance. All quiet now, sleeping fine.

The trick is to find the wood part and then determine where it is rubbing.

• Helpful
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have little wood creaking generally, there being some from time to time. Not in the places you mention specifically, but where wood abuts other wood, or where wood abuts the liner, i.e. @ some hand holds. My general solution is to oil the wood with Old Fashion furniture oil at the contact points, even on marine plywood. This usually means I can access the points of contact, however. In your case maybe a syringe would be needed to apply as mentioned above. Doing this routinely over all of the wood as well keeps it from becoming too dry. As for deck creaking, I normally use a spray lubricant on offending metal parts. For dry rope, I hand-spray it with a water/soap solution. This works well at the boat chocks when creaking starts there. I feel safe spraying my neighbor’s boat’s dock lines with it at the chocks when creaking too much. Sometimes lasts surprising long.

Is there creaking while under sail? I’ve been on yachts, even a quality one, that creak below horribly while sailing in “bouncy” conditions.:what: I take it as evidence of very dry joinery. In yachts with a lot of wood and joinery, the wood and joinery areas should be oiled with Old Fashion periodically, IMHO.The wood will soak up a lot of the oil.

I have to stop all creaking and knocking sounds at night, Admiral’s wishes.:biggrin:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I can never wear earplugs, including ones for listening to music, on my boat. I find it absolutely necessary to hear everything I can. Often "new" noises presage something that is not right. If you can't hear it, you can't know you have something to track down and fix.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
The boat quiets down when under sail in 10-15 kts. In lighter wind she creaks. I agree with Stu that I seem to be listening for any unusual sound and go investigate it. I have used a block of paraffin on rub spots under squeaky sole inspection boards with some success. I have Sailkote, Dry Teflon Spray, spray garage door grease, fluid film, and bearing grease to try. But the Old Fashion furniture oil sounds good too If I can find it. I’ll try powder too If I can get it in the spot. Supposed to be in the 90s this week so I’ll live with the creaks and go sailing...