How to sail on a run with the 170/wing-on-wing

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike G.

Hi all, I know the weather is still iffy to say the least up north, and ice-out hasn't happened probably yet on the small Michigan lakes, so wanted to send some inspirational thoughts of summer your way. I took the 170 out for a great 5 hour sail on the lake yesterday. Putting in at the ramp, the water was still chilly-- "only" 65 degrees-- but again, this is relative. Motored out the channel from the ramp and into Lake Santa Fe around 11am- slight patches of breeze- cut the motor and she ghosted along assuredly. By around noon, the southeasterly breeze had totally filled in. Tacked back and forth across the lake a few times (it's 3 miles long but only 2 miles wide). The breeze came up to about 10-12mph and I actually considered reefing the main as gusts proceeded above that speed- but didn't. Just trimmed the jib flat, sat up onto the windward rail and carried on- spilling the main some as the boat heeled past 20 degrees. We topped out at around 86 degrees for air temp- with mostly sun ducking occasionally behind some fair weather clouds. Like a summer day on the Laser at my parents' lake house in Minnesota. Had a great time, and speaking of up north, spotted several common loons on winter vacation from the great north. On to my question- Does anyone have an efficient way to keep the 170's sails wing on wing during a downwind run? I was running yesterday before the breezes filled in and the jib would often jump back to the lee side- shadowed by the main. Any suggestions (aside from the obvious: obsessively checking astern to see what the shifting wind's doing every instant)? Thanks for any suggestions, and happy spring (next week)! Mike G.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
No, but I'm interested too

Mike - Sounds like great fun. Would a whisker pole work in this instance? I've had the same thing happen. I've been thinking of buying one to try. Jerry

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
OR

I don't want to give the impression that a wisker pole is a don't need item. I use mine to trip over and get in the way both on deck and below. It is a great motivator to get the boat cleaned up and generally keeps me on my toes. Now if I had one of those spinaker pole things I bet I could really get motivated. However, I hear that the racing community has come up with a "on mast" storage method and I'm a little leary of having something so specalized actually work as advertized and be easy to use/store too. It just wouldn't be right not having to fight with it very time I wanted to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.