how to run sheets on 37 cutter

Oct 25, 2011
Hunter 37 Cutter Yankton SD
Hi- am just getting sails on and replacing running rigging on my new to me Hunter 37 cutter. I have two large cockpit winches, and a single port side cabin top winch. Trying to figure out sheets, especially the staysail sheet which is lead aft along the port rails. Obviously the yankee goes to the cockpit winches and turn blocks right behind the winches. The main sheet is led so that it terminates on the port side for the cabin top winch. IF I'm running the Yankee and the staysail, and the Main I appear to be short one winch, which could be located on the starboard cabintop. Let me know how you cutter owners are running your control lines, where you terminate the mail sheet, and the staysail sheet.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
The staysail sheet does come back to the port side of the cockpit and, originally, relied only on its purchase at the boom for trimming. Some owners (me included) have a small snubbing winch (#8 or #10) installed aft on the combing to make handling easier and others have upgraded the staysail sheeting, but you can get away with the 3:1 purchase on the staysail boom.

Oct 25, 2011
Thanks, i was considering just a Harken 150 jam cleat with the 3-1 purchase on statsail boom, but will be tough to trim without a winch when it blows....

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Thanks, i was considering just a Harken 150 jam cleat with the 3-1 purchase on statsail boom, but will be tough to trim without a winch when it blows....
Actually no, sheeting in does not need that much grunt.
What is more of as problem is letting out the sheet if you don't have much wind. If the blocks etc are not in good condition when you slacken the sheet there can be so much friction the boom just does not move out.
If you are looking to make things better, put in some bales or blocks between the aft end of the staysail boom and where the block is at the bow end so the sheet does not sag down and catch on things (like the guard over the dorades) which can be a royal PITA.
You are going to love your HC37 - we have had ours for 18 years now.

Oct 25, 2011
Good advice John, I saw there was a little eye strap in the middle of the boom for the sheet, I thought would be problematic, I'm super excited about my H37c, one of the last ones made, such a great upgrade from my 1981 Hunter 30. Hoping to post all the upgrades I did this winter, AC install, electrical panel redo, new waste tank in v-berth and electric flush freshwater toilet, xantrex 2000 watt inverter charger, new battery bank in bilge, all new windows, new from scratch built by me frig with isotherm conversion kit with thru hull heat exchanger........

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Good advice John, I saw there was a little eye strap in the middle of the boom for the sheet, I thought would be problematic, I'm super excited about my H37c, one of the last ones made, such a great upgrade from my 1981 Hunter 30. Hoping to post all the upgrades I did this winter, AC install, electrical panel redo, new waste tank in v-berth and electric flush freshwater toilet, xantrex 2000 watt inverter charger, new battery bank in bilge, all new windows, new from scratch built by me frig with isotherm conversion kit with thru hull heat exchanger........
Wow. You have been busy! Please don't forget to post some pictures and commentary in the "Boat Info - Owner's Pictures" and/or the "Boat Owners - Owner's Modifications" sections.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I would be especially interested in that frig project, but please post about all.