How to rig spinnaker on Isomat mast?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Hello all. Hope to see mast down this weekend. Lots of overdue work to be done.
One of the tasks is to rig a spinnaker halyard. I would like to keep part of it internal. Someone here kindly posted a picture of a masthead bail I think was made by Rig Right but I can't find it on their website. I also spent hours searching here and could not find the post.
My mast is an Isomat NG1 with internal halyards. Having difficulty visualizing how the bail could feed the line to a sheave at the masthead.
Any suggestions on dealing with O'day standing rigging or the mast will be greatly appreciated.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I have an Isomat NG-80, but they are probably similar since they are from the same manufacturer. Most spinnaker halyards I,ve seen are external to the mast and go through a swivel block at the top.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir

This is a Isomat NG 37 that has a internal spinnaker halyard. It is the one connected to the furler in this picture. ( Don't ask but it has been corrected since this picture was taken)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The internal halyard is usually fine unless you are considering something like a top down furler. Then you have to entertain clearance from the headsail furler.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't believe I've ever seen an internal spinnaker halyard. The head of the spinnaker is not usually brought right up tight to the mast as are the stayed sails, a chute swings around a lot and at times the halyard may be 90 degrees off the side of the mast, henceforth the bail.
An internal halyard would limit using this halyard for other purposes. We take this halyard forward and use the windlass to pull the dink up onto the foredeck, bring aboard heavy items like drums and anchors and to pull someone aloft, quickly and safely. But of course on your boat, you'll probably not be using the halyard for naught but a sail. lol

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Isomat has a two sheave solution to the issue capta addressed with angles on the halyard. One turns the halyard into the slot in the mast and is on a swivel the other is in the slot and turns the halyard down the mast to the exit point at deck level

Aug 1, 2011
On the Catalina, the book suggests that one halyard is for the headsail and the other is for the kite. Unfortunately, that design limits the posssibility to use a kite furler. The two furler parts tend to interfere with each other, without a decent crane.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Think of using a kite with a douser and not a furler. While I guess you could furl a sail with that much camber I'm thinking that it would not be "very pretty" and certainly would not work partially furled. You still have issues though as the (at least on my mast) kite halyard sheave is below the jib sheave. You might be able to re-engineer that situation on a fractional rig mast by putting the kite halyard sheave above the jib sheave. And bring the doused kite tack and sheet forward to the bow so the whole doused kite is ahead of and above the jib luft

Aug 1, 2011
Why would you try to fly a lightweight nylon kite partially furled? A top down furler is absolutely not a partial device, the risk of destroying the kite is immense.
Top down is an excellent solution for a short handed big kite.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 has an internal spin halyard.

Still working on a better solution to the roller they used for the spinnaker..there is a crane up there, so thinking of a swivel block.
IMG_3600.JPG

Greg

Aug 1, 2011
Greg, if you had a retainer made that looped around the front, it would contain the line. From your picture, envision the existing crane shape, running from each end of the roller pin, just far enough forward to stop the line from spilling off the side..

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I have the masthead plate that a block attaches to for a halyard. The halyard is completely independent of the mast, it just goes up to the block and back down. The plate is just a flat sheet metal stamping with two holes that screw it to the holes for the masthead cover screws. The front of the plate has two holes to attach a block and sticks out forward of the head stay attachment point. I'm pretty sure I got it at rig rite but it was at least 20 years ago. You could make one out of stainless plate stock pretty easy if you have a band saw and a drill.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Greg, if you had a retainer made that looped around the front, it would contain the line. From your picture, envision the existing crane shape, running from each end of the roller pin, just far enough forward to stop the line from spilling off the side..
Sort of like a bail on an anchor roller?

I have never had the line pull too far sideways (as far as I know), but it is very hard to pull the a-spin up... I thought it was the roller, but last time up the mast, it seemed like it turned just fine.

Still working on the solution. Thanks for the idea.

Greg

Aug 1, 2011
Yeah that’s it. That certainly looks like the line could wrap, and that far away from your fingers is almost always problematic.