How to replace halyard separator on H23.5

Jul 12, 2018
Hunter 235 Lake Wallenpaupak, PA
Has anyone replaced the halyard separators on an h235? I looked through the threads and saw Crazy Dave mentioned it. But I’m not sure where to start. Also, I’m confirming this can be done with the mast raised. I ordered the replacement separators and they will arrive mid July. I also have some cracked gel coat under the rollers so I would like to fix that while I have it apart. What is the recommended gel coat repair material? I’m new at these kind of repairs. Thanks everyone

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Are you talking about the separator between the two sheaves at the bottom of the mast on the starboard side? Where the halyards go out and around the turning blocks and back to the clutches?

I replaced mine last year or the year before. I cut a new piece from some leftover material I had when I replaced the friction plates on either side of the tiller above the rudder.

It's all totally independent from the mast, so sure it can be up. There is about a half inch steel pin going through the sheaves and the separator. I used needle nose pliers to grab it between the sheaves and push it forward and out the hole. There's nothing holding it in but friction.

I don't know anything about gelcoat repairs!

Jul 12, 2018
Yes. You got it. Thank you. I am going to try the needle nose pliers. I didn’t realize it would just slide out. Do you know if caulking is necessary?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I replaced mine... the pin was set with Dow 4200

I purchased my replacement right here at the SBO store

Jul 12, 2018
I got my replacement here as well. I will have some 4200 handy and play it be ear. This was my first post. You folks are so helpful. Thank you!

Jul 12, 2018
I will take pix of the gel coat cracks tomorrow. Thank you again.

Jul 12, 2018
Halyard separator is all done. Thanks everyone. The 90 degree bent tip needle nose were awesome. The pin pushed right out. Note if u buy the halyard separator from this site u need to drill it to the size of ur pin. No big deal just make sure you take ur drill ! And I keep forgetting to take the gel coat pix. Coming soon Crazy Dave Condon.