How to repair small cracks in topside fiberglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chip

I have noticed a number of small cracks in various locations topside, sitting area of cockpit, companionway cover, etc. Is there any way to effectively stop these cracks before they get worse and prevent them from causing further troubles through leakage? I saw something called "Crack Stop" at West Marine but no one at the store could provide commentary on how effective it is. Suggestions? Thanks again! Chip

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Do you mean on your deck?

It would be extremely rare to see cracks in the topsides of a Grampian (unless she had been in a collision). Those stress cracks you see on your deck around the stantions and at the back of your cockpit benches are not in the fibreglass - they are gelcoat cracks. They are very common and are easy to repair. The pioneers in fibreglass boat manufacturing often went way overboard in their use of gelcoat, and that is why you have these hairline stress cracks. There are a number of good books giving repair details for this cosmetic annoyance available from the chandlery of this site.

J

Jim Willis

gelcoat gets brittle .........

...and becomes more susceptible to crakcing due to flexing or heat/cold cycles around stanchions etc. If you want to try "crack stop" buy it and report back to us! Another way is to make up some colored thin gelcoat and drip it in. However the only real way to properly repair these cracks is by dremelling out and doing a proper color match. In addition to the many books and videos on the subject there is freebee information in the Chandlery of this site when you go to Island Girl Section. This is left from the forum I used to run. There is good section on color matching. JW The best

C

Chip

Thanks for the clarification!

Thanks for the good insights. I apologize for my ignorance on these issues and truly appreciate the valuable commentary this group provides. I am definitely here to learn. I suspect you are correct that these are probably GelCoat cracks as opposed to FiberGlass cracks. I guess I did not really understand the difference or how to tell. Is it typical to have GelCoat on the entire topside area of a Grampian G30? The cracks are mostly at the corners of the cockpit seats and various mount points such as the handrails on the top of the cabin area. However, there are some in flat open areas... for example along an area of non-skid or a flat area near some of the non-skid. If I am understanding correctly, I don't really need to worry about these as much as I thought I would. I was concerned that they might allow water in places where it would create further damage over time. Am I understanding that these are probably just cosmetic and that I don't really have to worry about them before the rainy season?

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Your entire boat is coated with gelcoat -

As I mentioned, Grampian really overdid it with the thickness they used back then. As Mr. Willis points out, the fibreglass underneath flexes, but the gelcoat doesn't - it cracks or crazes. Now then - your topsides are the outside side areas of your hull that extend from the waterline to the deck. The entire hull, the entire deck (including anti-skid) and all benches, locker lids etc. are coated with gelcoat. If you do some reading on the subject (don't forget the Island Girl link on this site) you will get a better understanding of the construction. Every time my crew accidently bangs the whisker pole on the deck I wince, because that little bang just may have made another hairline crack on the surface.

W

wilpat1@rogers.com

Gelcoat cracks

I have a G28 with numerous cracks in the gelcoat. Some sailing mates are suggesting gouging them out before filling and painting. But they seem so hairline narrow I can't see the need to carve them out. Am I wrong here? Seems like a coat of paint will cover up all but the worst. Would like to know for sure as I've just had the hull Awlgripped and the rest of the boat looks showroom.......Bill

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Try some "thick" cyanoacrylate glue

This adhesive is basically thickened crazy glue that you get at a hobby store. We use it on our R/C airplanes during construction to fill in voids between stringers and fusalage parts etc. Gil Bibby, former plant manager for Grampian, recommended this glue to fill in the small stress cracks etc. in gelcoat. Fill the crack, sand it flush, paint it, or leave it. It fills the gap and really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.