How to remove BedIT?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I applied a generous amount of BedIT to an outboard bracket that I had to remove. It stuck to the transom really well. What's the best solution to use that wont hurt the gelcoat?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
From the Sail Rite site. This was part of a warning where not to use the tape. It might work for purposely removing it.
"Butyl tape can be broken down with mineral spirits...."

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
A plastic scraper in addition, might be easier on the gel-coat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Take a small piece of butyl tape and start to roll it around the edges of the stuck tape, just like you were building a little snowman. The tape will stick to itself and mostly come off. A plastic scraper can remove some of the residual and mineral spirits or alcohol can remove the last traces.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thanks everybody! I was planning on installing a wood board between the mount and transom to reduce the chance of spider cracks. I installed on launch day and realized my bolts were too short so I pulled it off. I was planning on replacing it with HDPE or similar plastic with UV inhibitors. Will the butyl tape eat away at the plastic?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I guess I should rephrase my question... Why does the article state that butyl should not be used with plastic?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I guess I should rephrase my question... Why does the article state that butyl should not be used with plastic?
Well, not to be too critical about the Sailrite article, however, that article gives bad advice. There is only one application where silicone may be an appropriate sealant, bedding plastic Beckson ports. Other sealants such as polysulfide and polyurethane can attack some plastics, silicone does not. In those cases, using silicone to seal the port is appropriate because the other sealants that come in a tube aren't appropriate.

Starboard is very resistant to chemicals, so I wouldn't worry about applying butyl tape to it. The Sailrite article is correct, that butyl tape should not be used to seal anything that carries fuel, propane or oil. Nor should butyl tape be used below the waterline.

Sep 30, 2019
Hunter SD SD 41 St.Simons Island, GA
Is here any one who know foot length on standard jib in Hunter 41 DS 2008.
I am getting jib beam.
Thanks, Peter

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Your question was regarding Bed-It Tape, not the stuff Sairite sells. There is no problem using Bed-It with plastic provided you are not trying to use it as an adhesive.. Bed-It Tape is an entirely differnt formultion than other products and is not really a true "butyl tape" it is a hybrid product..