How to re-bed older Bomar portlight lens

Aug 11, 2010
Hunter 41DS Bristol, RI
Hello. Please help if you can!

My 10 year old Bomar portlight is leaking between the aluminum frame and lens.

Does anyone know how to take the lens out and RE-bed it?

I spoke to Bomar/panetti (misspelled). And they don’t know at all.

All videos on YouTube didn’t show rebedding the lens. Only rebedding the frames. No matter where I check, no one knows.

Thank you!

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I've seen a couple of vids on that subject. Can't remember the source, but I decided a DIY project was not my cup of tea, So...
I took my Bomar lids to a local glass shop and spec'd the material, the thickness,
and the tint. My personal problem was cutting the acrylic accurately.
I'd have to buy better and more tools that cost as much as the shop charged for the whole job.
But, it can be done. Good Luck.

Aug 11, 2010
Hunter 41DS Bristol, RI
Thanks so much for letting me know you’re experience. I just do t know if I can cut out the caulk on the outside of the boat to pull out the lens, and then rebed.
Thanks again
John

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
Remove lenses, clean up well with scotchbrite, clean with acetone
Mask all edges and re- set acrylic with Dow 795

Aug 11, 2010
Hunter 41DS Bristol, RI
Thank you very much for the advice.
The issue I need to know is how to remove the lens, from above on deck, or do I need to take out the entire frame and open the aluminum ?
Bomar has no advice at all.

Thank you again!
John

May 27, 2004
Yes, you can cut the lens out of the frame in situ. It will take a sharp razor knife with a solid handle, not just an old box cutter. Oh, and some new blades.
And some linemen's gloves (the knife blade will slip).
A welders apron would be nice as well.
Let's see... Yeah, still got 10 fingers, however one of them required several stitches! Now you see why I chose to leave it to the pros.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I have seen discussions on the Catalina30 group where people used a piano wire with handles to saw/cut the caulking. Never had to do it myself.

May 27, 2004
Not sure how you get the wire inside the hatch frame to remove the lens.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I will be replacing the plexiglass on my older Bomar hatch in a couple of weeks. I already have the lens cut to size from Boat Outfitters. Also have a tube of Dow 795 black. I found this Youtube video about replacing a Lewmar lens that you might find helpful.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Remove lenses, clean up well with scotchbrite, clean with acetone
Mask all edges and re- set acrylic with Dow 795
What sort of plastic is messed up by acetone? I have always stayed away from using / getting acetone on my plastic lenses.

Greg

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I recommed removing the hatch lid and remove the lens in a shop or at home. I used Sika systems and am very happy. By removing you can clean the lid up with a wire wheel and properly paint them. Don't use acetone on the lens. It will cause it to crack after a while.