How to pull engine on a 420

Persy

Dec 22, 2004
Hunter 42 Madisonville
I've got an oil leak that needs to be repaired. The 2 mechanics I've talked to both say I need to pull the engine for repairs.

1st guy said he needed to pull generator as well. 2nd said that wouldn't help but he needed to disassemble as much as possible in the boat, then take down aft engine room wall and go out through the aft cabin hatch.

Anyone done this on a 420 and have ideas on best way to do it?

Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
Hope I never have to it! My impression is that that the back wall of engine room as well as hanging locker needs to be disassembled and engine comes out through the companonway. I believe genset needs to come out also to get engine out.
Call Hunter

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Do you know where the oil is leaking from? the only thing I can think of that would REQUIRE pulling the engine is a rear or front main crank seal. The crank seals are at the front and rear of the engine (at the duh crankshaft). The front would be obvious as it would be throwing oil onto the crank pulley and it would throw it all over the forward engine compartment. The aft seal is hidden by the trany but it would be dripping from the bottom of the bell housing seal between the engine and transmission. There is a small drain hole/slot there to let oil out.
Good luck

Persy

Dec 22, 2004
Hunter 42 Madisonville
Do you know where the oil is leaking from? the only thing I can think of that would REQUIRE pulling the engine is a rear or front main crank seal.
They're both saying front seal. One is saying it's also dripping from the pan. As you know, sometimes its difficult to pinpoint the actual source in a boat. I'm getting a 3rd opinion this week.