How to prime house water pump

Dec 29, 2020
Catalina 30 Berkeley
For a normal diaphragm water pump, if you have the system running and close the tap, the water between the pump and faucets is still under pressure and the pump will shut off once the set pressure is reached. The pump will then come on once the faucet is opened which lowers the pressure and triggers the pressure switch to turn on the pump. If you turn off the breaker for the pump at the switch, you will still get some water out until the pressure is all released. If you need to turn off and on an electric switch then you probably do not have a pressure system.
That all makes perfect sense, and I think when the planet is turning on its axis that's how it works on my boat. Turns out that one of the hoses was broken off at the pump end so all the water was just being pumped into the bilge. Thanks for your help.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum. Berkeley 30. Congrats on finding the "Massive Leak".

Sounds like your pump has been doing its job. It was pumping water. Just out the hole of the leak.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Okay ignore the part about leaky taps. The taps just turn on backwards. One puzzle solved.
If that bugs you, on some taps you can reverse the action. Loosed the stem nut and pull out the core, the rotate it 180 deg and put it back together.

Dec 29, 2020
Catalina 30 Berkeley
Welcome to the forum. Berkeley 30. Congrats on finding the "Massive Leak".

Sounds like your pump has been doing its job. It was pumping water. Just out the hole of the leak.
Plus, since the leak was coming out of the water heater, and repairing it has necessitated taking the water heater out of the boat, I now get to find out why there is milky gunk coming out of my water heater. Oh the joys of boat ownership.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Your pump is on a wooden platform under the small cubby cover under the aft corner of the saloon port settee. Next to the engine cover.
You might have an issue with the pressure switch on the pump.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Your pump is on a wooden platform under the small cubby cover under the aft corner of the saloon port settee. Next to the engine cover.
You might have an issue with the pressure switch on the pump. The official IC30A forum has troubleshooting steps. Sign on!
That location is not true for all C30's. On my 88 Mk 2, the pump is mounted under the front edge of the quarter birth.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
That location is not true for all C30's. On my 88 Mk 2, the pump is mounted under the front edge of the quarter birth.
Just bought a 1985 Catalina 30.
We’re not talking about a mk-II, however.