How to mount depth finder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Hi all, thinking about mounting a depth finder on our Hunter 170 (Hummingbird HDR 650). Our 170 has a motor mount without a motor right now, so that is an obvious possibility, but we would prefer to have the mount free if we decide to put a motor on.

Problem is the transom - well, there is no real transom is the problem! These are made to mount on a vertical transom wall. Also need to keep clear of the rudder, but if mounted too much to one side the sensor will come out of the water when heeled over in the wind.

Another possibility is to mount to the hull underneath. I really hesitate to put holes in the hull below the water line... and if we pull up on a beach as we sometimes do, it would be mashed.

Has anyone else done this, and how did you mount it? (Also, how do you power the depth finder... a small battery tucked away somewhere?)

Thanks for any ideas...
-Mark

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
The installation instructions for the Hummingbird HDR 650 states "the
transducer must remain in the water for the control head to maintain
the sonar signal" so your proposal to mount on the OB motor mount is not viable. Also how would you propose to run the cables to the head unit (display) and the power source?
I suggest that you consider a permanent mount (maybe for a combined depth and speed log) that might go something like this:
1. Mount the transducer unit through the hull at the point where the inspection port is at the stern.
2. Cut an inspection port in the cuddy area forward (see this thread for a photo of what I am talking about: http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=749955&highlight=inspection%20port
2. Chase the connecting cables forward to the cuddy area.
3. Mount the Display unit on the forward bulkhead.
4. Install a wet bag container in the inspection port to hold the battery pack that powers the display.

I did something similar to another trailer sailer that I owned and never had a problem with damaging the transducer when launching/retrieving.

Last edited:

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Inspection port at the stern? I don't know of any such port on an H170. I also thought about that photo of the added port in the cuddy area and though to run the wiring through a small plug low on the stern end of the seats up to the cuddy area for battery access and to mount the display in the forward bulkhead. Wire still has to pass over the deck at the stern; not a great solution.

From the description of how the hull is constructed (plastic outer skin, foam core, and fiberglass inner skin) I assume through-hull transducer would not work. Hummingbird instructions imply it must be a single-layer hull to mount this way. Did you get a through-hull transducer to work on a Hunter 170?

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
I have obviously made an unsafe assumption that the H170's have a stern inspection port like the H146's and H15's. I have a H15 (the fibreglass version of the H146). The boat that I installed a speed log transducer through the hull also had a fibreglass hull.
There is a ex-Hunter dealer that regularly posts in this forum, 'Crazy Dave Condon'. I suggest that you send him a PM. I'd be surprised if he can not give you the correct advice on this matter.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.