How to make my deck look good?

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
Hi all,

Recently purchased and first time saiboat owner. The deck looks like it needs a paint job. Or should it be a sand down and gelcoat repair situation? Has dark patches around deck even after cleaning the deck with starbrite deck cleaner. What's the best way to make this look like new? Appreciate any suggestions

20240517_192206.jpg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on your "new to me Hunter 26.5". Cleaning up a mature boat is where we all start our adventure.

If your boat has been painted, it will need to be painted again to return to the bright, shiny gem you imagine. You can brush and power wash, but that may remove more of the paint.

If the boat gel coat is still in tack, then progressive very fine grit sanding and a good buffing can return the shine.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Can you tell if the gelcoat on the non-skid is dirty or if the gelcoat is actually worn down to the fiberglass below? My guess is it’s just dirt of some type. I’d really try to clean it through any means possible rather than redoing it. Cleaning’s a lot easier than repainting or gelcoating, especially on the non-skid. Try some LA Totally Awesome on a spot and see if that cleans it up, then go from there.

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
Thanks David. I feel like I saw resin/fiberglass. I'm going to get a closer photo next time I'm at boat (this weekend).

Can you tell if the gelcoat on the non-skid is dirty or if the gelcoat is actually worn down to the fiberglass below? My guess is it’s just dirt of some type. I’d really try to clean it through any means possible rather than redoing it. Cleaning’s a lot easier than repainting or gelcoating, especially on the non-skid. Try some LA Totally Awesome on a spot and see if that cleans it up, then go from there.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
LA Awesome products are excellent. But what I do for a really dirty deck is to scrub with a long handle brush and Soft soap with bleach. Wear old clothes and shoes. Wet down first, scrub, and rinse. If it is just dirt, it should come clean. If not, then you can consider other options.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have good results with pressure washing.
I agree, but you have to be very careful with the pressure and spread of the discharge and the distance from the deck. Gel-coat is somewhat fragile and can be damaged easily with higher pressure machines.

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I agree, but you have to be very careful with the pressure and spread of the discharge and the distance from the deck. Gel-coat is somewhat fragile and can be damaged easily with higher pressure machines.
And it can erode bedding compounds beneath deck fittings causing leaks.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
A GOOD detail will take a at least 10 hours. For our older boat we use melamine (magic eraser) sponges, soap, vinegar and baking soda. I will sometimes throw some purple boat/car pressure washer solution into the mix as it will loosen some dirt that others wont touch. Gelcoat generally stays cleaner than paint in my opinion