How to make an old boat look new

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy Foote

My boat is a 1978 and looks a bit old and oxidized. If it were a car, I'd wash and wax it. What does one do to a boat to make it look new again, short of a major refinish job. Thanks Randy Foote

R

Randy

Restoring fiberglass

Nobody else jumped in, so I'll try. In my experience, maintaining a fiberglass surface is similar to maintaining a painted (car) surface. Regular washing with an automotive or boat type soap (no dish detergents, since they strip wax), combined with periodic waxing contributes to a long, shiny life. First, thoroughly wash the entire surface with fresh water, boat soap, and a soft cotton towel or a deck brush with very soft bristles. Rinse everything down when done, then let it dry. If the fiberglass surface is in good condition, a good fiberglass wax (or even car wax) will replenish the oils baked out by continuous sun exposure, and will protect the surface from salt, bird droppings, and other contaminants. Water will bead up on a waxed surface. If it doesn't, it's time to was again. If the fiberglass is faded or oxidized, you may need additional products or steps. Compounds and cleaners remove oxidation, polishing products add rejuvenating oil to the surface, and finally, wax seals and protects the whole thing. Needless to say, this is a lot of work, leading to the temptation to combine it all into one step, such as using a one-step cleaner-wax product. I've found that for seriously faded surfaces, it's necessary to perform each step with a seperate product. Once the surface is in good shape, the one-step products are often sufficient to maintain a good, clean, smooth surface. I personally use Meguiar's products on both cars and boats. They make a (huge) line of products for each, including compounds, cleaners, polishes, waxes, and yes, one-step cleaner-waxes. Visit their web site for more info (www.meguiars.com, I think). The one downside to Meguiars is that they have so many products, it's sometimes hard to select the right one. Good luck. Randy

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

Ask this in the Gelcoat Forum

You'll get expert advice from Island Girl Products. And everything I've heard about their products is positive. LaDonna

R

Randy Foote

Thanks LaDonna

Looks like it is covered pretty well there. I didn't even know this existed. Thanks again Randy

B

Brandon Pellow

Bringing back the shine

I have been on the bow of a boat during a storm before therefore I would think twice about waxing the upper facing surfaces of a boat. If they get wet the water might be beading up but you'll also hydroplane right into the drink. However, I have heard great recommendations about a product called Poli-glo and that it is remarkable in revitalizing oxidized fiberglass. I have never tried it though. Hope everything turns out like new. Brandon

C

Craig Cody

Modern Technology

I used a power buffer to polish and wax my boat the last time it was hauled for bottom paint. Gelcoat is amazingly hard stuff, and even a badly oxidized hull will come back amazingly shiny. I have used Meguire's products, and am very happy with them. They make a "kit" that includes polish and wax. If the surface is badly oxidized, you may have to use a rubbing or polishing compound. With a power buffer, the most I have had to do is use some 3M "pink" liquid polishing compound. It is a very fine abrasive, and unlikely to damage the gelcoat. Be careful of "burning" when you use a power buffer, and you should use one. There is simply no way that hand polishing and waxing will match the finish you will get with a power buffer. They are spendy, about $150.00 for a commercial grade, but you can rent them at a reasonable cost. I would avoid "miracle" preperations, since all they seem to do is "fill in" the surface and not polish off the oxidation. When you compound the surface, you are actually removing old dead material, and getting down to a good surface. If your boat is stored outside, uncovered, be sure you use a marine grade product, like Meguires or Island Girl. They have far more UV protection than automotive preparations. Once you have machine polished the boat, hand waxing a couple of times a year will keep it looking like new. As stated in another reply, be certain not to get wax on the non-skid. Good luck.

G

George Damerel

refinishing

I refinished my Catalina 25 last year using one of the new polyurethane coating products ( such as NuGlass). It took about 6 hours to apply 8 coats to the boat including anything above the waterline. The result was dramatic and lasted all session in fresh water. I don't think the effort level is much greater than a good polishing job and the result is significantly better.

D

Doug Young

Shine again

Use what the pros use 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and wax P/N 09006 nothing is easy but with a good buffer and this product your boat will look lots better.

F

Fred

PoliGlo

I DID use the product PoliGlo on my 82 Catalina 25. This girl had been sitting UNTOUCHED for 3 years that I know of. I saw the PoliGlo at a boat show ad with their UNCONDITIONAL MONEY BACK offer I thought what do I have to lose. I applied as directed, and fortunatly the people I bought it from told me it would look pretty bad until you had at least two coats on (IT DID) then it started looking better and better. I am VERY pleased with the product. Made my dull oxidized hull slick, smooth and shiney again. Hope this helps. Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.