How to lower and raise Swing Keel 2018 Catalina 22 Sport?

Resail

Nov 13, 2008
Com Pac 19 Lake Nockamixon
I have a stupid question! I've been sailing for 15 years, but have always sailed fixed keel sailboats. I sailed a 2018 Catalina 22 Sport yesterday with a swing keel, but for the life of me, couldn't figure out how to lower (and then raise, of course), the swing keel! The crank below the companionway turned, but it didn't appear that anything was happening. Any advice would be appreciated for this swing keel newbie!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Righty raises it until you cannot crank anymore, lefty lowers it until handle spins freeley, under sail you will hear the famous catalina hum from the cable. Of course this assumes you have a cable and keel actually goes up and down.
mmfamouis

Oct 19, 2019
Seaward 25 Charleston
Thank you, Jacktar! That's it? Just turn the crank? No pin to release or anything? I say this because when I turned the crank, both left and right, nothing seemed to be happening. I felt no tension. I'll try it again next time I sail. Thanks again!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
If its on the trailer you can unwind or wind couple of turns and see if it moves. If it does not the keel is frozen in place and you will need to free it.

May 8, 2022
Sirius 21 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hello, I am a new Sirius 21 owner, and I need help with operating the swing keel. How do you lower the keel? I was able to crank up the keel slightly before launching the boat in the water, but now when I turn the winch the other way nothing happens. the winch handle simply rotates freely with no tension on it at all. Is there some kind of clutch/brake or a lever that needs to be moved? Any help would be appreciated.