How to lengthen the bottom of the furling jib on Capri 18?

May 25, 2019
Catalina Capri 18 Bronx, NY
(Please forgive me if I am not using the correct terms)
I have a 1987 Catalina Capri 18 that I keep here in the Bronx, NY and enjoy great sailing on Long Island Sound every weekend.

I bought it with a friend a year ago, and it was already outfitted with all of the sails and lines, we didn't have to add anything.

I have noticed that the furling jib looks like it has about 5 inches or so more to get to the top of the stay, and at the same time it is always folded over the lifelines when close hauled. What I'd like to do is to extend the bottom connection to the sail by 5 inches so it could be hoisted a bit higher. I'm looking for a way to do this without interrupting the furling action.

Any ideas would be welcome, I can post a photo next week if needed.

Also, probably have a list of about 6 to 8 "newbie" questions about this vessel, do you think I should post the whole list or one at a time?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
You can add a "pennant" to the bottom, simply a loop of low stretch line between the tack and furling drum.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Also, probably have a list of about 6 to 8 "newbie" questions about this vessel, do you think I should post the whole list or one at a time?
One subject per post/question, please. Helps eliminate confusion.