How to fix retractable keel cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2009
Irwin 1970 23 ft Irwin sailboat Cape Cod
I just bought a 1970 23 ft Irwin sailboat that has a retractable keel but the cable has rotted through and is broken,how can i fix this ? Can anyone help. Thanks,newsailor2

Jun 13, 2005
Irwin Barefoot 37 CC Sloop Port Orchard WA
You don't fix it you replace it. Put your boat on the trailer or on the hard, drop the board, remove the old cable and replace with new SS Flexible Halyard wire of the same diameter and length. If you need a particular end fitting West Marine or any rigging shop will put it on for you.

Have fun

Joe S

Oct 24, 2009
Irwin 1970 23 ft Irwin sailboat Cape Cod
Broken cable 23 Irwin

Joe,I can see the cable under the floor where it came apart.can it be fixed from there? thanks newsailor2

Jun 13, 2005
Irwin Barefoot 37 CC Sloop Port Orchard WA
It's hard to say. If you were to put in a splice or connect the two ends, lets say with nicropress fittings, your cable may be shortened and/or blocked, so that it won't go all the way up, or all the way down. SS halyard cable is not that expensive. If it were me, I would just replace it.

Joe S

I

Irwin 23

Broken Swing Keel Winch

I just bought a 1970 23 ft Irwin sailboat that has a retractable keel but the cable has rotted through and is broken,how can i fix this ? Can anyone help. Thanks,newsailor2
Hope you had success regarding you cable repair. I have a 1974 Irwin 23 and the swing keel winch release lever system is missing. I need help in identifying the manufacturer of that brass reel type winch. Any help would be appreciated.
THANKS,
Richard Schmitz

Jan 22, 2008
Irwin 28.5 south river , nc NC
Re: Broken Swing Keel Winch

check with gene at the Irwin Yachts web site... they have lots of information on all Irwins...good luck......cwt

Status
Not open for further replies.