How to drain racor500 bowl

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Hi. I wanted to check with you guys before I break this little plastic knob on the bottom of my Racor 500 bowl. I need to open it and drain some dirty fuel. It looks like it simply unscrews but I wanted to be sure. It does not feel like it unscrews as it has sort of a rubbery feel to it and wants to pop back in place when you turn it. Looked up the users manual but it only said "open the drain on the bottom of the bowl"
image.jpeg
ha ha.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
It turns out and will let fuel out more as you turn it more and have something ready
to drain fuel.
Forget which way loosens it or tightens it.
Nick

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Turn it out, right hand rule-point your thumb in the direction you want the drain plug to go and you're fingers will point in the direction you need to turn it.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The end is serrated so you may attach a small hose to the end to direct the drained fluid to a container. Turn the valve counter clockwise to release.

Feb 4, 2012
LM 28 Pilot House Sloop Pilothouse Campobello Island & Fredericton, NB
On Tuesday I drained a Racor 200FG with a very similar drain and attaching a hose to that barb made it a very clean process.

Sis you drain out the crud without introducing air?

I am redoing my fuel lines and was also pulled the lines from the Racor body so breaking prime was not an issue for me.