How to deal with mainsheet and Bimini on H23

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I just installed the Bimini that came with our boat for the first time. When opened the front edge extends over the cabin, roughly a foot past (further forward than) the mainsheet traveler. Since the padeye on the boom that the sheet attaches to is directly above the traveler, the front bow of the Bimini obstructs the sheet. If anyone else has one like this, how do you deal with the sheet?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have an H26 and on my boom I have two payeyes on the boom. One is directly over but one is more forward (mid-boom). Maybe you are missing an padeye?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I did not have that problem with mine. The only issue was it was a low bimini that limited our mobility and made going forward on deck difficult. It was great at providing shade, though.

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI

One padeye is for the main sheet traveller and the other more forward one is for the boom vang.

I got a bimini that is 4' and it just barely fits against the back stays and it went about 4" in front of the main sheet traveller padeye, so I moved it toward the mast to allow the bimini to clear.

It works pretty well and I've been extremely happy with it, since I burn so easily!

I have an H26 and on my boom I have two payeyes on the boom. One is directly over but one is more forward (mid-boom). Maybe you are missing an padeye?

Apr 27, 2010
I will post a photo, should be at the boat sometime today. I can see that mine is taller than Paladin's, as there is no way I could sail with it deployed (when horizontal, the boom would be about 6 in lower than the bimini). And also likely a bit longer than his 4 ft. I think the padeye slides, so I will see if I can position it more forward and still get good sheet action (the sheet would angle toward the bow rather than be vertical; which should be OK). From memory (I was there yesterday, but brain cells are not so good now) I have two padeyes aft of the sheet - one for the reefing line, the other, not sure, I don't use it. Plus of course the one for the vang.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Paladin27 and Isaksp00, would both of you please confirm the lengths of your biminis when deployed to include height and where the main frame on the deck is position from the stern or stern rail if both of you have that. Also include headroom that there is when sitting underneath when sailing. Also, can the bimini me moved back Isaksp00?

Jackdaw, if you are listening in, what do you think of adding another or moving the boom bale forward to help out? Until I have some answers, I will get back with you. Thank you gentlemen

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Thanks, Sane Dave. I won't be able to get to the boat to measure for a few days, but yes, I can fold it back. The bows end up not quite touching the backstays, and the boom clears - which now that I think of it is obvious, else the PO could never have sailed without removing the bimini entirely.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sorry just back from an offshore race. Wow the Bimini looks like it was designed for another boat; or designed to never be used while sailing. You COULD move the mainsheet forward on the boom, attaching it with a slide or a bale, but I don't think you would be happy with that setup. The very forward mid-boom location would be hard to work due to loss of mechanical advantage, and would also put the boom at risk due to extra leverage created.

Ideally mainsheet runs should be vertical; I know of only a very few boats where the designer did an angled sheet; usually to poor effect.

Also, even if you sorted that out, you have to deal with the size of the thing. It's too high so the boom does not clear, and the forward straps are in the way. I'd swap it for a smaller one, or resign yourself to only using it while not sailing.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
You
Photos. I see the mainsheet padeye is riveted in the track so barring drilling the rivets I can't move it, don't want to do that.
You'd want to just add a new one anyway, saving the OEM for future use.

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks all. I think the PO (first owner) bought this at a dealer in New Holland PA, which is not near any decent sailing waters. I suspect the dealer may not have had a lot of experience with "blow boats". As an example I discovered that the jib furler had been installed incorrectly. So they probably sized the Bimini incorrectly.
I want to leave the main sheet vertical, and clearly can never sail with the Bimini open. I think I am stuck just leaving the main sheet drooped like in the photo, while it is open. While not ideal prob. OK since we'd only ever open it while on board at rest.
Other than major surgery to the tubes and fabric, or a new one altogether, I don't see any other options.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Isaksp00, you were correct about that dealer who I knew and had to help him a time or two. Before you do anything, measiurements first. Then lets go to the next step.

Jackdaw, thank you very much for your advice.

Jul 14, 2016
HUNTER 23 LEESBURG, GA
PALADIN27
I like the look and fit of your bimini. Can you give me the source it came from and the dimensions : width, length, height and number of bows you'd recommend. Also, did it require any modifications of the bimini frame or boat rigging. I think I've read on some post that the owner moved the the main sheet bale attachment on the boom forward 4-5" to accommodate the forward bimini bow of his bimini choice. Were any mods similar to this required. Thanks for any info.

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
PALADIN27
I like the look and fit of your bimini. Can you give me the source it came from and the dimensions : width, length, height and number of bows you'd recommend. Also, did it require any modifications of the bimini frame or boat rigging. I think I've read on some post that the owner moved the the main sheet bale attachment on the boom forward 4-5" to accommodate the forward bimini bow of his bimini choice. Were any mods similar to this required. Thanks for any info.
I got mine from this site back in 2010. I just selected Hunter 23 and it came pre-sized. I had to move the main sheet bale forward about 4" to accommodate it open. It wasn't a big deal.

http://shop.hunterowners.com/cu/detail-tmpl.php?53977

Apr 27, 2010
OK, finally got some measurements:
Bim len, canvas front to back 72 in
Headroom 69 in
Width about 76 in at ctr bow
I sailed for 1st time with it installed, but folded back, and realize I will have to pull the boom up slightly with the topping lift so it clears the folded tubes. If I let the boom hang to its natural level with no support from the topping lift, supported only by the main, the boom aft end is maybe 5 or 6 in too low. The dealer obviously didn't know how to size this correctly. I may just take it off the boat at end of summer and not use it.

Jul 14, 2016
HUNTER 23 LEESBURG, GA
Headroom 69 in
Width about 76 in at ctr bow
Can you clarify these measurements for me? By width do you mean the distance at the frame mounting points on the deck ( looks to be just aft of the sheet winches) or across the top of the center bow? By headroom, from what point on the boat is that measurement taken? (cockpit floor, seat, deck, etc.) The reason I'm asking is that I'm about 2 1/2 hours from my boat for the next several days and can't take the measurements I need to choose the appropriate dimension parameters for some tops I'm looking at. (L, W & H) I thought perhaps your post could help in this regard if I fully understood your points of reference when you took your measurements. Thanks for any help you can give.

Apr 27, 2010
Headroom is from the cockpit floor up to the bottom of the center bow. Width was measured at the center bow, up at the top, estimating the actual width across the vertical sections of the bow (inside edge to inside edge) - I did not have a tape long enough to stretch across the entire width, so measured from the center to the side, trying to account for the curve where the bow bends from horizontal to vertical.

But don't copy mine, or your bimini will be too long (front to back) and too high. From the looks of the one Paladin uses, mine is maybe a foot or more longer, and must be at least 6 in higher - and I cannot sail with mine unfolded (too high for boom to clear), nor can I properly even sail with it stowed (unless I lift the boom a bit higher than the main holds it, using the topping lift).

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
TH,
As a retired dealer who got the manufacturer first involved with these hunter sailboats and was there for measuring for practically all of them, they are premeasured for the specific boat sometimes with a short version and a longer version. Suggest you order one thru this forum store as they work with the mfg.. Be specific with your boat.

Isakspoo, Good to have heard back. I knew that dealer and he was not well versed with sailboats and even at the Annapolis shows had to be a referee between him and another dealer. I wonder why I sold boats from that show into both of their areas. The customers got fed up with the bull and the lack of experience and knowledge. I have been thinking about this. You would have to shorten the bimini and cut it to make it fit. I hate to say this but I would sell it and bite the bullet and order one. Send me another email and I will make a suggestion.