How to cool a 25 Macgregor on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida in the Summer,,, Zero Breeze?

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier

I'd pass on it, it is pricey, you could get a portable generator and window AC for the same price and know it will work and have the extra option of a generator.
Then comes the question of where do I put the generator when I want to create electricity

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
Ok.
Get a generator and portable AC.
We sleep in the main cabin on an inflatable bed. The v-berth holds everything. I can put a generator and the portable AC unit in the v-berth.

One last question. How do I run a generator and power the AC unit without getting the exhaust in the boat.
Should probably put this in another post.
I was thinking that I could build a rack that will hold the generator by the rear rail on the outside of the stern. I could keep the generator in the v-berth and then move it to the stern to use. The portable air would do the same thing and be placed over the front hatch.
Is there a way of moving the exhaust away from the boat?
Has anyone already posted on putting an AC unit on a MacGregor 25?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
There's a Cruisair portable marine AC for sale on eBay now, $400, seems like a steal. You should grab it.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
One last question. How do I run a generator and power the AC unit without getting the exhaust in the boat.
This question is one reason why some marine professionals, including a notable one on this forum, recommend against using portable generator/inverters on sailboats. Should put on (install) a CO monitor if doing this, professionals advise. Although many folks do use the portable generators intermittently, admittedly; I don’t know about them running through the night, etc.

Last edited:

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
a small window unit mounted in the companionway hatch (cut ply to fit) would cool great and better than the "portable" ones, as they have exhaust only so constantly cause outside air to suck in to the boat.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I just had a funny idea, what if you developed a "hatch unit," an A/C that is analogous to a home window A/C unit, except it's oval-shaped and slides into my opening cabin hatches. I could then position DC outlets near each one, like cigarette lighter sockets.

Jun 24, 2020
Macgregor 25 SoCal
I just had a funny idea, what if you developed a "hatch unit," an A/C that is analogous to a home window A/C unit, except it's oval-shaped and slides into my opening cabin hatches. I could then position DC outlets near each one, like cigarette lighter sockets.
you can https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Refrigeration-Conditioning-Miniature-Compressor/dp/B07QSFMQJZ something like this will put out about 1,000 BTU and can be powered on 12v 10a the problem is it's mostly sheet metal and I don't think it will last too long near salt water. an all stainless or aluminum version would cost around $1,500 to manufacture.