How to connect VHF radio to NMEA2000 MFD

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I almost bought the GX2200 for it's AIS and DSC capabilities but adding in the converter brought up the cost to almost the same as the GX6000. Newer radio, newer remote mic, no converter needed.

Then I found two Cons to the GX6000.
1. It doesn't have a built in GPS antennae so I had to set it to pull in the GPS data from the Axiom CP via Seatalkng. (A few weeks later I added a separate GPS Antenna for redundancy.)
2. It has two antenna inputs, one for VHF and one for AIS. You'll either need a new antennae for the AIS or a splitter. I went with a powered splitter (pricey)

The GX2200 would have been cheaper in the long run but I do pick up AIS signals from NY Harbor.:biggrin:

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I think the antenna part is important, The GX2200 uses the VHF antenna way atop the mast for AIS. I imagine this helps a great deal.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I think the antenna part is important, The GX2200 uses the VHF antenna way atop the mast for AIS. I imagine this helps a great deal.
We get about 10 mile range. So it's about half of the antenna's theoretical limit. This might be the GX2200 that is limiting that range. On the radio the largest range you can sellect is 10 miles. I have seen cruise ships and large cargo ships around 12 miles away when on open water.

Sitting here in the rain at Green Island, Antiqua I can see a boat 8.8 nm away from me. That is behind the island so I'm impressed with that.
IMG_20200226_113124558_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200226_113128702_HDR.jpg

This display in the i70 doesn't let you change the range. It is fixed at 8 nm.
IMG_20200226_113133234_HDR.jpg

If you look at the Target in the lower right, that is in Falmouth Harbor. The AIS info says it's 8.8 nm away. The course to get there is closer to 12 nm. Shirley Heights, a peak of about 800 feet if I recall correctly is in-between us.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Vesper has come out with their VHF/AIS transponder system last November. They call it Cortex.
They are taking orders while they await the FCC authorization.

I have had their XB8000 on my boat for 3 plus years. Great technology and integration into a marine system.
My issue with this system is the mic. I don't want a smart phone or cordless mic only options. I want a hard cord, weather proof mic at the helm that is capable of changing volume and stations, acknowledging DSC calls and sending a DSC SOS. All the better if it can make DSC calls direct to AIS targets.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I read that Vesper thought of you and your wants.
The V1 model comes with a "tethered - cord attached" hand set. Not sure of the length, but you could place the control Unit in a box at the helm and have your wish come true. The CPU is stated to be waterproof (IPx7) rated. Sure looks easier than my SH GX2200 to operate. It is NMEA 2000 compatible so can be connected to a MFD.

You can also have up to 10 hand held (smart phone like) units.

Until they get FCC approval it is moot. Looks like a pretty market responsive unit. Definitely out of the normal mode.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I read that Vesper thought of you and your wants.
The V1 model comes with a "tethered - cord attached" hand set. Not sure of the length, but you could place the control Unit in a box at the helm and have your wish come true. The CPU is stated to be waterproof (IPx7) rated. Sure looks easier than my SH GX2200 to operate. It is NMEA 2000 compatible so can be connected to a MFD.

You can also have up to 10 hand held (smart phone like) units.

Until they get FCC approval it is moot. Looks like a pretty market responsive unit. Definitely out of the normal mode.
Actually the corded headset communicates wirelessly to the unit. The cord just makes it boat powered, not cordless. So that could work for sure.

Aug 21, 2019
I sail on Lake St Clair, Lake Erie and Lake Huron. With my Standard Horizon AIS signal, I see a freighters considerably further away than 10 nm. I am not sure why. It might be that I see ships so far away due to some sort of repeater system that might be in place. There is a great deal of freighter traffic here. So a system like that would make sense. I have not been able to find a reference to it on the Internet, though. Possibly, freighters simply have higher antennas and more powerful transmitters.

Sorry I cannot show pictures, still Winter here =(.

Aug 3, 2019
S2 11.0a Duncan Bay, Lake Huron
@stephen_i_w

I am a dummy regarding NMEA connections. I am looking at the NMEA 0183 Gateway YDNG-03 which seems to be a replacement for the YDNG02R. My goal is to get AIS data from my Standard Horizon GX2200 to my Raymarine Axiom 7 MFD. From your experience , once I have that converter would it be best to convert to NMEA 2000 right at the radio, then run NMEA 2000 to somewhere that I can tee into the network, or does it not really matter where the adapter is located?

Did you need to configure the baud rate, or anything else?

Thanks from a fellow Great Lakes sailor,

Matt

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
The thread rises from it's grave....

Matt:
I assume the Axiom 7 does not have NMEA0183 inputs/outputs, correct? If so several adapters may be needed.

AIS info from the GX2200 to the Axiom:
If the YDNG-03 you link will transfer the AIS sentences correctly, 0813 out from the GX2200 to the converter. NMEA 2K from the converter as a drop cable into a SeatalkNG - N2K converter and that should get the AIS info onto your SeatalkNG backbone. I'd set the radio to 38400 baud for the output if the YDNG-03 can take that rate (I know the radio can output it) (Shame on Raymarine for implementing N2K with proprietary connectors)

You'll also need GPS from the SeatalkNG to the GX2200 so it knows where it is unless you already have that covered with a different GPS. The 0813 converter should also go the other way, transferring the GPS sentences back to 0813. This will likely be 4800 or 9600 baud.

I took a quick peek at the YDNG-03 converter manual and it does indeed appear to convert the correct sentences. You may have a significant amount of configuration ahead of you though, as you may not want everything on the N2K (SeatalkNG) bus being converted to the slower 0813.

As a side note, and it doesn't help Matt. I've installed a SH GX2400 on my boat. Built-in GPS, N2K and 0813. Below decks the gps had trouble getting good signal but a $12 GPS antenna glued under the deck solved that very well. It's a great radio and easy to interface to modern stuff. If looking to buy a new AIS radio, go with one with N2K built in. Also, SH does indeed have a great external mic setup on the GX2xxx series.

Aug 3, 2019
Thanks @jeepbluetj !

The GX2200 has GPS so I believe I only need the one way comms. Looks like the SeatalkNG - N2K converter is the other piece I need that I was not aware of - thanks!

Matt

Aug 21, 2019
My previous boat used a combination of an Axiom 7, the YDNG-02 and the Standard Horizon GX2200. I believe that the YNDG-02 and YNDG-03 work the same. Anyway, this worked great. Since the GX2200 has a built-in GPS, there is no need to make that connection. The GX2200's two AIS MNEA0183 output wires are connected the YDNG-03 inputs. The YDNG-03 provides a bridge between the NMEA2000 and NMEA0813. The YDNG-03 is available in both NMEA2000 and STng Versions. STng is identical to NMEA2000, except for cabling. The Axiom 7 is connected to the NMEA2000 or STng. So you do not need any other hardware besides appropriate cabling. The GX2200's AIS output is at 38400 baud, so you will need to set the YDNG-03 to that.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Thanks @jeepbluetj !

The GX2200 has GPS so I believe I only need the one way comms. Looks like the SeatalkNG - N2K converter is the other piece I need that I was not aware of - thanks!

Matt
Yes, I stand corrected. I was confused with the GX2150, which required GPS from external sources. (I had one on a prior boat)

Taking a brief look at the manual, the GX2200 has two sets of NMEA0813 outputs. The Grey/Brown will output GPS sentences at low speed, and the Yellow/White pair is the AIS. You do not need to concern with filtering as the output on the AIS terminals will just be the AIS sentences.

Aug 3, 2019
...The YDNG-03 is available in both NMEA2000 and STng Versions. STng is identical to NMEA2000, except for cabling. The Axiom 7 is connected to the NMEA2000 or STng. So you do not need any other hardware besides appropriate cabling. The GX2200's AIS output is at 38400 baud, so you will need to set the YDNG-03 to that.
Thanks! Is it most likely true that my Axiom is on STng? I do have an iTC-5 on the network, which from the docs seems to use a STng connector. My boat is 250 miles away and covered in snow so I can't look at it right away :)

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
You have STng. So you'd want the STng version of the YDNG-03.

All Raymarine stuff has a STng connectors for the network. To get to "generic" N2K connectors requires an adapter. The only real difference is the connector. You still need terminators on either end of the N2K network, power fed into it, etc....

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thx I was considering that too.
I had a nice chart plotter with N2K, but no AIS. I had to buy a new VHF radio, so bought one with N2K and AIS. But no GPS for the DSC….

So, a few N2K connectors and it was pretty easy to network them via N2K. Now, the AIS info from the radio shows up on my CP, and my CP provides GPS coordinates to the radio for DSC.

Next up is to get my wind instrument and AP to talk to one another…but I need a new wind instrument ;-(

Greg

Aug 3, 2019
Update: This was very easy to do! I took Tx+ and wired it to Rx+ and Tx- to Rx- on the NMEA0183 to SeatalkNG converter (YNDG-03 ), set the config in the converter to 38400 baud and magically the AIS data started showing up on my chart plotter!

Thanks All!
-Matt