How to Access the Back of My VHF Radio

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hi all:
On my 44 DS the VHF radio is installed outboard of the chart table in a small wooden bulkhead which also mounts an after market DC switch panel. I need to access the back of the radio to troubleshoot my Command Mic in the cockpit, which did not wake up this spring. I suspect that the panel is retained by snap locks which are used throughout the boat to secure various removable panels. Suspect, but not sure! Experience tells me that if I insert a thin putty knife or other such device into one of the joints on either side of the panel, it can be popped out. However, before I make the attempt I thought I'd better ask if anyone has on the board has performed this evolution. So I'm asking :)

It is amazing how aging has taught me to approach scary tasks like this one with caution, rather than just charge in and break something.
Thanks
Rick

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rick- A picture would help a lot. Your 44DS is likely to be the same as my 40.5. In any event, the picture below shows a wood compartment/box that is mounted above the chart table. If your setup is like this, I can tell you that the only access to the back of anything mounted on the box is through the opening that is behind the CB panel. However I would think that you could access the back of the VHF by simply removing the radio and pulling it out.
I needed access in that protrusion/box to put nuts on screws where I was mounting a TV. What I did was to cut a 5" hole in the top of the box and install a quick access plate. So now anytime I need to get my hands into the box, I can just unscrew the access plate.

Hope this helps you.

2015_0827_081908.JPG

• Helpful
Oct 1, 2007
Rick- A picture would help a lot. Your 44DS is likely to be the same as my 40.5. In any event, the picture below shows a wood compartment/box that is mounted above the chart table. If your setup is like this, I can tell you that the only access to the back of anything mounted on the box is through the opening that is behind the CB panel. However I would think that you could access the back of the VHF by simply removing the radio and pulling it out.
I needed access in that protrusion/box to put nuts on screws where I was mounting a TV. What I did was to cut a 5" hole in the top of the box and install a quick access plate. So now anytime I need to get my hands into the box, I can just unscrew the access plate.

Hope this helps you.

View attachment 180384
Hi Rich:
Thanks for your response. I have attached a pic from the web that basically shows my situation. I have pics of our boat but not here. I will post tomorrow. You can see this panel with the radio, charging panel, and tank level gauge. My VHF is not accessible from the front as it is mounted inside the panel. You can see the seams forward and aft of the radio/charger/tank level. So I'm thinking that panel just pops out since there is no access above from the shelf.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Rick

Attachments

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
The radio is secured to the panel via L brackets attached to the sides of the radio. There is a screw on the other side of the bracket that pushes the bracket against the panel holding it in place. I you remove the instrument to the right you should be able get your hand in there and loosen the screws

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I just did this on my 2007 H-36 and mine was easy 4 screws and the panel came off but yours looks different.
I did do a google search what model and showed how it was installed and contacted the manufacturer and I sent to them for check out and repair remote mic and also added a external speaker but mic working fine now

Oct 1, 2007
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I "fiddled" with it today and discovered the entire panel pops out. It is held in place with the snap locks as I suspected. In the pic I posted the entire panel from the edge of the switch panel forward to the A/C fitting easily comes out with a little outward pull. I inserted a knife blade (dull) into the space and rotated the blade outward and the snaps release.
Now that is step 1. Next I need to troubleshoot the command mic.
Thanks again,
Rick