How should a rebuilt Yanmar behave?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
You can get white smoke from water in your fuel. You will know soon after you replace the fuel in the tank. Was your boat covered over the winter so as to prevent snow build up on top of your fuel fill port?
Isn't there a primary filter/water separator that should keep out water before it gets to the engine? Has that been checked?

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
The mechanic is working with me, he totally acknowledges now (after some initial resistance) that there's obviously a problem unrelated to "break-in”....I should note here that the rebuild did uncover a couple major problems that needed attention--e.g., new, oversized pistons were required--but who knows how long the engine might have continued performing well enough until a rebuild was absolutely needed? It’s like going to a surgeon for hernia repair and the surgeon ends up fixing your bad knee (that you were doing just fine with).

The boat was not covered up for the winter..plus some of the fuel in my tank is probably 2-3 yrs old, though I do treat it regularly (Stanadyne). I'd asked my mechanic several times--before the rebuild--to check and replace the fuel, but he always dismissed this as a primary cause for the white smoke, said he had checked the fuel & it was OK. But I don’t know exactly how he checked the fuel, I know there are different methods.

I’ll have him re-check the injector pump timing--good suggestion.

Thanks everyone.

Matt

May 15, 2015
Marlow-Hunter 31 Everett, WA
Alan--the water separator is getting checked and I bought a new filter for it, as well as a new fuel filter.