How old is your shore power cord?

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Do folks generally replace their shore power cords after some number of years or do you wait for visible problems? Is there a way to test for internal damage? Mine’s looking pretty tired but there are no signs of cuts or overheating.

Also, any preferences to shore power cord brand? Marinco seems to dominate the market but I think they make it all in China. I worry about poor quality control on electrical equipment. Is Hubbell still US made?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Mine is old, about 20 years with a retro fitted Smart Plug. Needs to be wiped with acetone once in a while. It has been used 24/7 since I owned the boat except when sailing of course.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
<snip> Needs to be wiped with acetone once in a while. <snip>
I think that while Acetone will do a spectacular job of cleaning the cord, it will also damage the outer surface of the vinyl and tend to leave it sticky to attract more dirt. I know this is true for fenders based upon personal experience. I now clean fenders and cords with mineral spirits and spray cleaners. It takes more elbow grease and a bit longer, but mineral spirits doesn't damage the surface. This was a tip given to me by Taylor Mfg in regard to their Big B fenders.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
20 seasons on our Hubbell power cord.

I wouldn't be using acetone to clean a pose record, ether. There are MDR fender and power cord cleaners.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Ah me........age is such a burden. When I first met my power cord she was young, bright, shiny, and oh so flexible. Her bright yellow cover was spotless and I was so proud to stand next to her when she was displayed on the dockside hook. Her power transmission was wonderful with only a bit of wonderful resistance. She was so supple and easy to bend any way I wanted. She was wonderful.
But now the years have taken their toll. Her once bright, shiny, cover is now faded and stained from so many docks, so many hook ups. She is now stiff and difficult to coil but I still stand next to her with pride, very aware that the years have taken their toll on me as well. We are still a good pair. We are a pair, and forever partners. So long as she can light me up, heat my water, and keep these old batteries charged, she will be my cord, and I will be her proud owner and partner.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You can tell who uses solvents on power cables here in Florida - the long-term effect is obvious and not good. If they are exposed to weather just a few months each year for folks up north, cleaning with solvents like acetone might not be as destructive, at least not as quickly, but doing so removes the plasticizers making the 'rubber" brittle and dry exacerbating dirt buildup.

There are so many different better products, just in the boating market, which are formulated to clean and preserve polymer products. The conventional wisdom here where stuff is used/exposed to weather 12 months a year is to use some of the 3M products which have multiple uses around a boat.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Mine is twenty years old. It is a Boat US brand that is guaranteed for life, wonder who I see if I need a new one?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Mine’s looking pretty tired but there are no signs of cuts or overheating.
Hi Carl, our 1991 boat came with two well used Marinco shore power cords when we purchased her in 2002. Both had signs of over heating/arcing, but back then I was learning and fixing a few other related/unrelated things. Used them for several years until my ears perked up about some of the hazards related to over used/abused cords. Fam got me a brand new cord, which was promptly destroyed when a storm broke the locking ring and partially pulled the boat end socket out of the plug. Ruined the plug as well. So replaced the original boat plug, purchased two Marinco used cords from a boat garage sale that were in almost pristine condition. Also rigged a strain reliever to the boat end cord to prevent what happened before. That was maybe five years ago and so far all is well.

Unlike before I knew better, best practices has been to always first turn off the boat master breaker before disconnecting the cord. That stops the flow of electricity, thus helping to prevent any burned sockets/plugs due to arcing. Maybe someday I will upgrade to a Smartplug, but for now what we have works well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I bought my boat I received an unknown aged power cord. Being an acknowledged electrical coward I was amazed by the new and improved “SmartCord” design. A succor for a new dangled gadget I invested in my future and that of my boat.
Like @dlochner I find it among the best purchase decisions for my boat.

I for one was influenced by the “Gallery of Shame” found on @mainesail’s MarineHowTo.com site. Boat fires happen. More often from electrical fires then we know.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I switched to the Smartplug, and am very happy with it. Bigger contacts and much more secure connection. The plug clicks into place, and releases by squeezing a clip on each side. Unfortunately, I had to get a cord with the standard connector on the dock end, since most dock mounted receptacles are not Smartplug. Maybe some day....

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Mine is old, about 20 years with a retro fitted Smart Plug. Needs to be wiped with acetone once in a while. It has been used 24/7 since I owned the boat except when sailing of course.
If you take you power cord off while you are sailing what do you do for power? :laugh:

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Ah me........age is such a burden. When I first met my power cord she was young, bright, shiny, and oh so flexible. Her bright yellow cover was spotless and I was so proud to stand next to her when she was displayed on the dockside hook. Her power transmission was wonderful with only a bit of wonderful resistance. She was so supple and easy to bend any way I wanted. She was wonderful.
But now the years have taken their toll. Her once bright, shiny, cover is now faded and stained from so many docks, so many hook ups. She is now stiff and difficult to coil but I still stand next to her with pride, very aware that the years have taken their toll on me as well. We are still a good pair. We are a pair, and forever partners. So long as she can light me up, heat my water, and keep these old batteries charged, she will be my cord, and I will be her proud owner and partner.
I have heard that Harlequin Novels and Hallmark Movies always have a happy ending. Are you a former writer for either?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...There are so many different better products, just in the boating market, which are formulated to clean and preserve polymer products. The conventional wisdom here where stuff is used/exposed to weather 12 months a year is to use some of the 3M products which have multiple uses around a boat.
I'm pretty sure I saw a product that is supposed to be made special to clean power cords.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Goofy but... HEY! I like goofy :biggrin:

Thanks for the smile.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
When I first met my power cord she was young, bright, shiny, and oh so flexible.
Hmm. Never met a shore power cord that had a gender attached to it. Boats maybe, but a cord? Weird! :poke:

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Ditto, Dave! Mainesail has also tested and written about the difference. When I changed out my marinco deck fitting which looked fine externally the first inch of the neutral line from the socket was melted and charred - just in time! the Hubbells may be better made, but it's still a 1930's design not suited for marine use. get the smartplug system

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Maybe the confusion is because 'cord' in French is la corde?