How old is this Morgan 25?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2009
2 25 Savannah, GA
How old is this Morgan 25? - No it's a M-24!!!

I found a "nameplate" - looks like it was handwritten in ink and then glassed over - it is almost unreadable. It does say "Morgan 24" and a number - looks like 635B, and then Dec??? (December)??? There is no year visible. I actually found two of these "nameplates" - one inside the port lazarette in the cockpit, and another in the v-berth on the extreme port forward wall. The one in the v-berth is even more unreadable. Does the 635B sound like a hull number? If so, about what year would that be???

I am considering buying an old Morgan 25, but I cannot determine its model year. I looked on the starboard stern but nothing there. Where else should I look? I feel pretty certain it is at least 35 years old. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Try again Captn'

You forgot to add the pic :)

Morgan Yachts was founded in 1963 and bought by Catalina in 1978

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Only boats manufactured or imported after November, 1972, were required to have Hull ID Numbers (HIN). So you are probably right that your boat is in the range of being 35 or so years old. I'm not an expert on Morgans, but I happen to really like the old 25-ft models. The 1970 and earlier models seemed to one large, and one small portlight on each side, while the later ones (i.e., 1975+) seemed have one large port on each side. These are very nice sailing boats.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

Oct 19, 2005
Morgan 24 Warner Robins, GA.
Morgan 24 hull numbers

I found a "nameplate" - looks like it was handwritten in ink and then glassed over - it is almost unreadable. It does say "Morgan 24" and a number - looks like 635B, and then Dec??? (December)??? There is no year visible. I actually found two of these "nameplates" - one inside the port lazarette in the cockpit, and another in the v-berth on the extreme port forward wall. The one in the v-berth is even more unreadable. Does the 635B sound like a hull number? If so, about what year would that be???

I am considering buying an old Morgan 25, but I cannot determine its model year. I looked on the starboard stern but nothing there. Where else should I look? I feel pretty certain it is at least 35 years old. Thanks.
Bgephart,
Since your "nameplate" indicates you are looking at a Morgan 24, the following should help. I am listing the hull numbers estimate that I have for the years for the M24
1966 1- about 35
1967 About 35 to maybe 130
1968 about 130 to close to 300
1969 in this year sometime, the hull numbers restarted at 1 and the model was called
a Morgan 25 when Morgan Yachts was sold and the new company wanted to have
the Morgan called a 25 to compete with other 25s on the market.

Here is what I think about your 63B5 number. I think you are looking at a 1967 M24, Hull number 63 and the B5 stands for a 5 Berth layout ( dinette model ) as compared with a 4 Berth layout ( traditional model) I have a '66 Traditional model and a '68 Dinette model. For more info, checkout my website, http://members.cox.net/morgan24site and by the way, I only live 3 hours away from you if you wanted to see either my M24s.
Bob Horan

Attachments

S

sailorgrams

roller furler and sail for morgan 24

My boat is a 67 on the title. I am looking for information on putting on a roller furler and sails. If anyone has any advice to share, I'm open.

G

grammysailor

roller furler and sails for morgan 24

My boat is a 67 on the title. I am looking for information on putting on a roller furler and sails. If anyone has any advice to share, I'm interested.

Oct 30, 2009
Morgan 25 rachels marina
Re: How old is this Morgan 25? - No it's a M-24!!!

Not sure if this will help,but I recently accquired a Morgan 25 and found out it is a 1968. There was some discrepancy as to whether it was a 24 or 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.