How old is this Harken selftailer?

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
With the roller stripper like this one. ..any issues? Smaller two speed for 250cdn each, good deal? Or run away?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Check online to see if parts are still available the lewmar still has parts for even there older models and the plastic tops tend to break for the sun

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's Harken, not Lewmar. What size are they? If they are two speeds and larger than size 30, you'll never find a set of used ones.... cause they last literally a lifetime. If they are single speed and smaller than 20 you can buy new ones in that price range... if you shop the 2 for 1 sales... but not harken.
Make sure there is a strong clicking sound, but not any ringing or raspy noise. Ask the seller to show you how to pull the drum off, like when you service it... if he doesn't know how, that's not a good sign. Anyway, look at the roller bearings... how dirty is the grease... do the pawls snap easily. Then go for it.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
How old is this selftailer? It might have been used by Juan de Fuca while exploring in 1592!

• Ha

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Harken winches are quite reliable. I would guess that the price on those if they are 20s is slightly high. I any case, maintenance/rebuild kits should still be available and I would suggest rebuilding regardless of age and apparent condition.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Harken bought a good Italian winch builder (and their patents) to get into this part of the business. Barbarossa. Great reputation.
AFAIK they have parts on hand if needed. If labeled "Harken" it was produced after the acquisition.
Contact them. I have found them to be very helpful about questions about their older gear.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
So, I'm buying from reputable guy who says they need oiling. I guess that means servicing.
Just wondering how those rollers work and if they can be swaped out for the the newer sculpted arm.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
So, I'm buying from reputable guy who says they need oiling. I guess that means servicing.
Just wondering how those rollers work and if they can be swaped out for the the newer sculpted arm.
I would trade the smooth chrome on my new Lewmar 'strippers' for those shiny rollers in a heartbeat. The Harken version is better in that regard.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I replaced the original single speed winches on my C&C27 MkII with Harken 32.2 ST but mine were what I think was the 04 designation, it looks like that is the 92 with the roller stripper.
Those winches were the single best improvement I made to that boat. Years later I was along side a couple other 27s and we all had the same winches :)
I'll attach the exploded parts manual for them

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If I win the lottery, I would replace all of my Barient winches and my Hood 810 furler!
My guess is they cheapened the model. On the plus side, fewer moving parts

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It appears that the drum drives the roller on the ST fairlead. If so that could be a sweet feature.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
This looks almost identical to my Harken 32.2 winches. Very simple design under the hood. Mine hadn't been serviced in at least 5 years. Still had a nice click

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I recently replaced my Harlen 16 Single speed ST,s. They had that same roller setup and where total crap. It would not self tail when using. It didn’t matter how I adjusted the winches. I replaced many parts and it did not help. I called harken and they gentlemen advised that it was a bad design and they sold a parts kit to upgrade the system. The kit was over $300 for each winch. I ended up buying new winches and only wish I had done it sooner.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I never inquired once I heard the price. I will say that there customer service was helpful and easy to get in contact with.

As far as the age of mine. They where original equipment on my 94 Precision.