How old is my boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Peters

I need to complete a statement of ownership for the DMV and they require the year of manufacture. The vin tag reads "Built by O'Day Mfg. Corp., Fair River, Mass. for O'Day Corp., Boston, Mass. Hull# 6536, class 982". My guess is it was built in 1965. I have copies of the "Instructions for Rigging the Day Sailer (or any other rigging using a mastjack)" with a date written by hand "before '66" on the reprint if this is use to anyone. The trailer was last registered in 1983 and it was mfg. 1972.

D

Don Evans

Rod Johnson Will Know

May I suggest you write to Rod Johnson at rjohnson@juno.com. He is are historian on the sailnet's O'Day list server, for all boats built by O'Day. A veritable fountain of knowledge on every model ever built by O'Day. I believe he worked for O'Day at one time.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

A guess...

Don, What is the centerboard configuration on your boat? How about the gunwales? Are there/were there floor boards? Your hull number suggests that you have a DS2 built some time after 1971, but a boat built at that point should have a vin on the plate. There is a a page at:http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/articles/dsbuldrchrt.htm with a chart of the daysailer lineage by number, including the builders of each style subsequent to O'day (ie: Rebel, Spindrift, SLI, and Cape Cod Shipbuilders). Tell me some more about your boat and I can date it reasonably well. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.