How much is my Dinghy worth?

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
I have a 9' fiberglass dinghy ("The Dink" made by American Sail) that came with the purchase of our sailboat. We do not use it or have a need for it. Someone is interested in purchasing it. We have no idea what the value is for this dinghy, and I'm asking you for opinions.

What do you think I should ask for "The Dink?" It has 2 beautiful wooden oars, but no outboard.

The Dink 01.jpg The Dink 02.jpg The Dink 03.jpg The Dink 04.jpg The Dink 05.jpg

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Probably depends a lot on geography, but around here a good looking little boat will sell for $100. to 400. with good oars. Appearance is really important. While there are a few brands that have value based on their name (like a Ranger Minto), most are judged by looks, length, and weight.
I recall one couple at our YC that found just the right length of dinghy - a Livingston - to fit on their deck.... after a long search; in their situation the "fit" was the most important criteria.
Irony: the oars are worth a major part of the value of the boat! :)

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Thanks, FastOlson. "The Dink" is located in northern Michigan, and has always been a freshwater dinghy. She has only sailed the clear fresh waters of The Great Lakes, unsalted and shark free. :)

Any others out there want to chime in with thoughts an asking price?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
It's worth what someone will pay. Try listng it on Craigslist for $400 and see who bites.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you can get it to Seattle I can give it a great home.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I paid 300 for mine and it's in much worse shape. Average lower end price in the midwest is 300. $400-450 sounds reasonable

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If I had a boat like this one that I did not want, one for which I did not specifically pay out any cash, and one that another person wished to purchase, I’d basically ask for an offer, maybe with a little “coaching.” Anything over $100 would close the deal. My idea would be to move it on. I’ve sold stuff at many boaters’ swap meets. I don’t want to bring my stuff back home. Much of it came as equipment on other boats I’ve owned, so I did not pay out cash for it, etc. For stuff I did buy, it’s old and I’ve gotten my “money’s worth” out of it, etc. As said above, it’s worth only what someone is willing to offer, etc. There are always a lot of dinks for up for sale out there. These hard shell rowing ones are just not that popular.

Last edited:

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
These responses are exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, all. My situation is sorta unique - my best friend's husband is the one interested in "The Dink." We were planning on giving it to him, but he is a phenomenal sewer of sails, covers, cushions, curtains, etc. for all things boats. He wants to swap out his work for the dinghy. We feel this is a great deal on our end. He just wanted to know what I would ask for the dinghy, to which I came here for input.

Great help! Thanks, again!

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
I wish you would have stated that up front. That changes my answer. Gift it to him.
That's exactly what we wanted to do, too! But he insists knowing what the value is so that he can estimate how much sewing he does for us in exchange.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That's exactly what we wanted to do, too! But he insists knowing what the value is so that he can estimate how much sewing he does for us in exchange.
In that case he should offer a certain sewing job for the swap. As I said, get an "offer" from him. Or, tell him what you need done. Say, two winch covers in your color for the dink, etc., if you wish to keep it simple. The "value" of the boat is what he is willing to do or pay for it; that's it.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I avoid those kind of deals. No one knows the value of each side which is an invitation for hard feelings. And among friends it's an opening for trouble. Sell it for what ever you can get and pay your BFH for his services. Keep it clean and remain friends. It's worth way more than the measly $100.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Ours is 7’, weighs 6 lbs, was made by a guy on Vancouver island who inhaled far too much resin over his life and we paid about 400 for it, close on 20 years ago. Great little boat, except don’t look at it sideways, it’ll spit you in the drink faster than you can blink