How Much Heel?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The listed waterline length for a C-310 is 26.5 ft. A look at the hull shape indicates that with moderate heel, say 10 to 15 degrees, the waterline length will increase about six inches (no, I've not measured it).

Questions:
1. In moderately light air, say 8 - 10 knots, is it faster to sail with the mast straight up, or let the boat heel?
2. I have the wing keel (draft 4' 10" vs. the fin keel, draft 6'). Can one point higher by sailing with the mast straight up, or with a moderate heel, or doesn't it matter?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Straight up.
The above responses are from sailors with experience and know their stuff.
But don't take our word, go out on the water and test it for yourself. Use a gps and find out what degree of heel gives you the fastest speed over ground (SOG).
It is a simple task.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
the waterline length will increase about six inches
Length, and what about width, how much does that increase that increase, and how does it relate to wetted surface?
There's a pattern here, straight up.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Our Catalina 25 sailed fastest at 15 degree heel.
Our 310 sails fastest flat and very seldom do we get 10 degrees of heel

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If the answer was simply: Flat, then why do you think the racing boat pictures would show a boat heeled over? It's not nust a photo op. (This is usually upwind or possibly on a close reach.)

Do you think the racing boats aren't interested in speed? ;^)))

As you others may say -- It depends on the sail plan balance, the apparent wind, whether you're having to use the rudder to keep the boat in in line (that brakes the boat), the seaway, and other factors.

The simple answer I give is: "USUALLY" having the right sails up and not overpowering the boat (where the helm becomes difficult to control and requires over steering to stay on line) AND having a balanced helm that is pretty close to the center line of the boat is fastest. You can prove that wrong in some cases by futzing around and really overpowering the boat -- but absent that, balance is good.

Off wind, in wild seaways, there are some hairy sleigh rides that might be faster -- but for mortals in light air or without huge amounts of sail up, generally flatter is better OFF the wind (on deep reaches and with the wind well aft).

The boat above probably has it's helm pretty much in line with the boat's direction. The heel is just where it settles down. The boat will let you know when the rudder has be kicked more than a bit over to keep the boat from either rounding up or falling off. Some boats with bigger rudders can be "steady" but the helm is actually too far over because the boat is overpowered or pointing too high.

Another factor, which people neglect, especially when going upwind: Actual course-made-good. If you have a GPS, see if your heading matches your actual direction over ground (forgetting current). You can have the illusion of speed through the water -- but you're sliding the wrong direction.
Stay in the groove. :^)))

With your Catalina 310, from looking at its lines, I believe that you have a relatively large fore triangle compared to your main. In light air, you would generally want to have a larger genoa -- but that would get overpowered as the wind goes into the moderate to heavier ranges. If you are beating, you would tend to want to reduce down to a working jib (say a 100% of the fore triangle area relatively quickly. If you don't do that and have a 130% or larger genoa, then you'd quickly become overpowered, especially upwind in say 12 knots or greater beating. You might compensate by reefing the main; but you need to figure-out how to balance the helm.

Anyway, that's my pointificating for the moment ;))))

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I very much appreciate the answers. BTW, the Genoa is a 155. Very handy when not hard on the wind. Not so good reefed to 100% as the shape becomes poor.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
boy oh boy, now that was an amazing amount of incorrect conclusions.

the op asked a specific question. the correct answer is straight up. never anything else.

fun facts: where did the nickname for large overlapping jibs, "genoa" come from?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The Swedish sailor and shipowner Sven Salen (1890–1969) first used the genoa on his 6 m R-yacht May-Be in 1926 at Coppa di Terreno in Genua, hence the name.

May 25, 2012
you win top prize. he showed up with overlapping jibs and won big time. so everyone went home to their sailmaker and said, make me one of those overlapping jibs that won in genoa italy, the genoa jib

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
boy oh boy, now that was an amazing amount of incorrect conclusions.

the op asked a specific question. the correct answer is straight up. never anything else.

fun facts: where did the nickname for large overlapping jibs, "genoa" come from?
Well, technically, the OP asked TWO specific questions. Are you asserting that the answer to BOTH is "straight up"?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I don't understand how straight up is the right answer. Straight up is the wrong answer except on a dead run. A boat can't sail without heeling to some degree

May 25, 2012
i suspect the op heard the notion that the longer the waterline the faster the boat can go, which is true when discussing the hydrodynamics of waves. distance between wave crests at for different speeds of the waves and the coralation to how a monohull rides the waves it creates while moving through the water.

discussing heeling on a given monohull is something all together different. heeling is slow. heeling gives weather helm = drag. more wetted service = drag, less projected sail area = less horse power and so on.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I guess all thes race boats are trying to go slower?
Heeling doesn't happen by itself
Length at water line is greater with more heel on a moderate heel and does have an affect on speed.

Wetted surface is not necessary greater? (The windward side of the hull is out of the water).

May 25, 2012
.... but as you heel your giving up projected sail area = slow. and increasing weather helm =drag = slow