How much ablative paint for an Oday 22

Oct 21, 2014
Oday 22 Richmond
I want to repaint with ablative paint this winter. My boat is an Oday 22. I don't want to buy more then I need and my question is will a quart cover the bottom? Thanks very much.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'm using Interlux Micron CF and I put on two coats plus more on the high wear areas (Including rudder and swing keel), still have just less than a half gallon left.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If in doubt, start out thinning it by the suggested amount. Then, any extra, you can go back over the hi-wear areas.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I want to repaint with ablative paint this winter. My boat is an Oday 22. I don't want to buy more then I need and my question is will a quart cover the bottom? Thanks very much.
The manufacturer of your chosen anti fouling paint likely has a paint quantity calculation chart on their web site.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I think Warren's formula gives surface area of the wetted hull, in square feet? (Area=LxW, Feet x feet=area in square feet) Which the paint manufacturer should have a figure for average coverage area per volume of paint? I looked up Interlux Bottomkote NT as a common ablative, and they list a theoretical coverage area of 400 sq ft/gallon. http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/products/antifouling/fiberglass-bottomkote-nt.aspx So, if Warren's formula is accurate, and Fastbottoms calculated correctly for your boat, then 2 quarts might work for you. I'm just too lazy to look up the LWL and beam for an O'day 22 :D:D:D

Oct 21, 2014
Oday 22 Richmond
I think I will be safe to go with two quarts after hearing what you guys say. This stuff is really expensive and I don't want to waste it by buying too much. Just as a side note I called Rudy and ordered the stuff I need to dump the Crosby rig. Thanks again.