How Many Times a Day...

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
...do you hit your head in the cabin while working on your boat?

Just wanna see if I'm keepin' up.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Pretty sure he is looking for bonified boo-boos and not frustration banging. Of course you could use the boo-boo to frustration banging conversion table found in most owners manuals. for my 40.5 the ratio is 0.18:1 frustration to boo-boo
To answer GT's post just about every time I go to the boat for the first hour I hit my head coming though the aft cabin door way (I know that is not the salty name for the thing but hatch does not seem to fit either). I'd estimate about 5 times till I relearn to duck

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I also have a H27, Gorilla Toast. My two favorite spots to donate blood are the opening ports knobs when reaching into cubby holes on the sides of the boat and the overhead support beam when moving from cabin to head area. I usually remember to duck a little to clear the beam, but have suffered some of my worst whacks when wearing a baseball hat with the little metal knob on top and not ducking quite enough.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I also have a H27, Gorilla Toast. My two favorite spots to donate blood are the opening ports knobs when reaching into cubby holes on the sides of the boat and the overhead support beam when moving from cabin to head area. I usually remember to duck a little to clear the beam, but have suffered some of my worst whacks when wearing a baseball hat with the little metal knob on top and not ducking quite enough.
Yikes! It's like you're living my life In a parallel universe...

I put a yellow noodle on that beam, but still hit my head on it!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
but have suffered some of my worst whacks when wearing a baseball hat with the little metal knob on top and not ducking quite enough.
A number of locals cut that metal knob off in anticipation of reducing pain and suffering. It really, really hurts if you tag it just right.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I have full headroom on my Tartan 37 so I have to look for places to whack my head. Like right after checking the level in the holding tank and forgetting that I've stuck my head into a hanging locker. Or finishing up with changing the oil filter and straightening up into the footwell of the cockpit. Or my absolute favorite time is after changing the engine zincs and rearranging these old bones so I can get out of the quarterberth locker. Those places are never as tall as I remember them when I got in there. So at least once a week, I've got another sore spot on my head.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It's been a long time since I've banged my head anywhere on this boat including the engine room, but we have 6'4" headroom throughout.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Being only a lofty 5'7" (early in the morning on a good day) I don't usually bump my head too often on the boat. The usual exception is when I don't have the companion way hatch slid all the way open and start up the steps in a hurry.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Being only a lofty 5'7" (early in the morning on a good day) I don't usually bump my head too often on the boat. The usual exception is when I don't have the companion way hatch slid all the way open and start up the steps in a hurry.
Yup, companion way hatch once or twice every season. Also in the V-berth where the cabintop turns down to the foredeck. Just can't seem to remember that the headroom ends rather abruptly up there.

Aug 9, 2006
Oday 34 La Salle, Mi
Every time I go in the refrigerator . I leave skin on the microwave hanging above it.

Pat

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I have a Catalina 25-they should have a warning sign-danger low head clearance.
Haven't gone into the head area without hitting head.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Where the army tanks I once lived in left off dasbOOt has picked up.
At least both contacts surfaces rebound in the latter...

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
This kind of reminds me of my submarine days.
We had plastic light covers held in place with domed flathead screws. Why someone over 6'3" was even eligible for sub duty is beyond me but we always seemed to have a few beanstalks around. From time to time one of the tall fellows would find a light cover screw and manage to leave a tuft of hair behind. On rare occasions a really solid contact would leave a small hunk of bloody scalp hanging. We'd usually leave those for a few days.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
My favorite one is typical. Last winter, while prepping to install my new feathering prop, I had removed the old prop, promptly bumped into the prop shaft (while wearing the proper baseball cap as has been noted earlier), made mental (first mistake) note to self to watch the prop shaft, gathered all of my stuff to head home turned around and promptly ran into the prop shaft full speed knocking me down and laying a gash (though the cap) in my head. Of course I'm 30 miles from home with no one around so, it was a long drive home, and then to the emergency room for the correct amount of stitches.

Just a normal day on the boat, as best I can tell, we are required to donate the proper amount of either blood or alcohol to the gods on a regular basis or they are not happy, and no you don't get extra credit for donating both.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
An absolute rule on my boat, and a HANGING offense if you don't.. The companionway hat
ch is ALL the way open or ALL the way closed. And there's a screw in the latch that will bloody your head. I get VERY irate to find it half open!!

Jun 28, 2014
Oday 25 Arkansas
Larry,
My uncle was 6'4", in submarines from WWII diesel days to the Trident Boomers. He hit the deck at least once from a "low" hatch. "Skipper on deck" usually means something entirely different.