How many stands needed to store the boat on the hard?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
can someone tell me how many stands should it take to safely support a 34' sailboat that has an estimated weight of 12,000lbs?.. thanks

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
for our our 33' nauticat 14,000#, the yard recommended 4 sailboat stands each side, and one for the bow , for a total of 9. be sure to support the stands on marine exterior grade plywood so stands don't sink into mud and tip . each side stand should be chained to its mate i.e. port 1 to starboard 1, port 2 to starboard 2 etc. this setup allowed our boat the withstand some 60 knot storms...

sailboat stands come in various heights with an adjustable screwiest which supports the pad that the boat sits on. if you buy new you'll have to put carpet onto the wooden tops of the stands to pad your hull.

don't accidentally buy powerboat stands which are 2 ft high and won't adjust tall enough for your boat.

IMHO go for American made heavy duty stands, not junk.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
My 36 Columbia gets three on each side, and a vee stand under the bow. All chained together side to side and the bow chained to the two forward side stands.
With three or more on each side you can lower them one at a time to paint under, but many yards won't let you do that. Don't want to play Dominoes with a row of boats. That happened here a few years ago.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

The yard where the Endeavour (20,000+ lbs.) is uses 3 per side on about everything I've seen and I don't really remember any bow ones but maybe some hull shapes need that. Notice also the blocking under the keel.

They also put the boats about 10 inches apart now and feel that might stop the domino effect in a hurricane. That is yet to be tested and hope it isn't ever tested. The yard was hit by the hurricane of 2004 that went over the yard and did damage a few of the boats but no major damage,
Sumner
==================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac

Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Don't really think the bow stand is that important on larger boats. On a small boat if you stood in the bow your weight might lift the stern. Not going to happen on a 12000# boat.
The yard I used to store at used them all the time. Current one doesn't.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Along with the number of stands being important, the location of the stands is something to be considered. Place the stands along the hull where there is an interior bulkhead or support of some kind like a tabbed in brace of some sort for a locker or tank. The distance up the curve of the hull is important too, but I do not have a good explanation for that location. Someone else can perhaps help with a good description. Eyeballing it is not very scientific, but that is what I do. Since the hull of our Oday 272 is quite thin we put a "V" at the bow and add a flat support at the transom to avoid flexing the hull. We check that by turning the prop shaft to see whether it moves easily.

RE: keel support.......There should be even support under the fore and aft ends of the keel. I like a plank under the entire keel, but that doesn't always happen. Once the marina had to move our boat to get to another one and when I got to the marina I saw that the front of the keel was lifted off the blocking. After showing the lift operator he adjusted it immediately.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
can someone tell me how many stands should it take to safely support a 34' sailboat that has an estimated weight of 12,000lbs?.. thanks

The keel supports the boat, the stands simply keep it from tipping over. The bare minimum with mast down would be one bow v-stand and two stands per side for a total of five (this is with very, very good wind protection). Ideally three per side plus one bow for a total of six.... With mast up at least 4 per side plus bow but more is better with mast up...

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon

The yard where the Endeavour (20,000+ lbs.) is uses 3 per side on about everything I've seen and I don't really remember any bow ones but maybe some hull shapes need that. Notice also the blocking under the keel.

They also put the boats about 10 inches apart now and feel that might stop the domino effect in a hurricane. That is yet to be tested and hope it isn't ever tested. The yard was hit by the hurricane of 2004 that went over the yard and did damage a few of the boats but no major damage,
Sumner
==================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac

Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Packing them close together maximizes profit for the yard, they might be able to squeeze a couple more in. Hadn't thought about it preventing one from tipping over, but that does make sense.
I've seen them packed so tight you could hardly get your hand in between. Sure makes it hard to do any work on the hull if you can't get in there. Sucks for security too. One guy leaves his ladder up and you can get onto every boat in the row.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Thanks for the replies...
im going to bring the boat home so i can work on it, rather than keeping it in a boatyard... i will build my own stands, as i can build
them all for less than the price of 2 ready-made stands from a supplier....

Ive helped move and load larger powerboats on a truck before, but never a sailboat... im sure its going to be an experience.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
My 14300# 34 footer has done fine with 3 per side and one on the bow with the mast down. I store in a spot that is subjected to a lot of wind.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
check the classifieds here, there are 7 stands for sale. I'm not the seller, but did notice the ad last night.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The keel supports the boat, the stands simply keep it from tipping over. The bare minimum with mast down would be one bow v-stand and two stands per side for a total of five (this is with very, very good wind protection). Ideally three per side plus one bow for a total of six.... With mast up at least 4 per side plus bow but more is better with mast up...

What about a swing keel boat? You can't really put the weight of the boat on the keel in that case ... can you?

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
On the yard, we use a jack every eight feet. It usually ends up more than that, but that is the minimum.

Gene, on that C22 about four stands should work, and I would think it would sit on its folded keel.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
What about a swing keel boat? You can't really put the weight of the boat on the keel in that case ... can you?
Gene, you'll see in my build thread that I used 4 stands on my C-22. Most of the time the keel was off, so it was only estimated 1300 pounds or so. The front two stands are fine on with pads directly on the hull, the fiberglass is thick enough and support from the interior liner keeps that area stiff enough. The rear two stands require a 'cradle' that bows with hull shape that I made out of two layers and 3 wide cheap 1" x 3" furring strip, just laminated with wood glue and some tack strips with wood screws. From mid-ships back to about 24 inches from the transom the glass is thin and flexible. When I had the hull inverted for the bottom job my knees could flex and depress the area when point loaded. If you were to put the pads of stands directly on the C22 hull, especially with keel on and other weight of gear in the boat I'm sure it would crack badly. Pictures are in my resto thread, the stand pads just go right under the cradle.

I wouldn't recommend sitting the weight of any swing keel boat on a folded up swing keel. All the boat weight will focus on the keel pin, plus the boat will be practically on the ground so stands wouldn't fit anyway.
p.s. I just looked through my entire Photo-bucket... of all the pics I have of the boat on the stands none of them clearly show the cradle under rear stands, sorry. The boat is boack on its trailer now, but I'll take a pic of the cradle itself when I get home.

Last edited: