How many of you have satellite beacons or satellite phones when out on the ocean?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'd have guessed that with all that experience they would have had something like this on board.
There are experienced sailors that still have boats without engines. The Pardeys were a famous example.

A bit scary for some in the modern world where many sailors buy every gadget under the sun for their boat.

The gear=safety thinking is interesting.

I know a 80 year old that has sailed for 70 years, starting with a wood thing his dad made him.

He's been cruising for 40 years He told me that he would rather "not put a rescue crew at risk to save an old man”.
(While that is an extreme thought.. depending on the location it does sorta make sense to me. Vendee Globe competitiors in the southern ocean for example)

We've chatted about the fact when he started cruising, the skill required for navigation, prevented the less skilled from heading offshore,. until they were ready.

Otoh, today some incompetent boat owners, use gear in general, as a way to compensate for their boat, and lack of skill. "Why be prepared when you can just call for help?"

I once ran into a SAR training session while driving the logging roads of Vancouver Island. I asked them how many people they were training. They said "not enough". Apparently with the spread of cellphones, there was a large increase in the number people who had no business being in the bush, needing rescue. They were relying on their phones to save them.

We obviously don't know the real situation with that 41 ft.that was lost. we dont know their true level of skill. Condition of the boat etc. (You can sail for 50 years and still not acquire a wide range of experience. Knowing how to MacGyver things doesn't mean you can sail a boat in heavy weather)

Personally.. while I would definitely carry an EPIRB as a last resort, I feel that you should be prepared to self rescue. You should have the skills and the boat that minimizes the need to put rescue crews at risk and cost the taxpayers a pile of money because YOU chose to sail from the dock.

But...Based on @dlochner post, a new ACR Bivy may be on my Xmas list.

Truly skilled crew that mistakenly didn't feel they needed rescue beacons ?
"Experienced" crew with a badly maintained boat ? (The media and family always seem to say the sailors were experienced)
Drug cartel Pirates ?
Alien abduction ?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
However, the lack of clear information about the sailors' location, partially attributable to the lack of GPS tracking and poor cellular service near the Baja peninsula, has left the families of the missing Americans uncertain about their loved ones' whereabouts.

Ugh. While this quote is likely just pointing towards the ability to use cell tower handshakes to try locate someone... cell phones are NOT for reliable use on a boat.
There are spots on inland lakes and on land where they don't work... Grrrr.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Carlotta and I have talked about EPIRB's and PLB's in the past, but it just never happened and probably won't. Not for this boat anyway. But it's a 100% personal choice, and everyone should do what's necessary to sleep well.

I sleep wonderfully, as long as the boat isn't making any of those mysterious noises. :)

I did just finish replacing our old VHF today. The radio, the coax, the antenna, everything. I used better cable, better connectors, and mounted the new antenna better and higher than before. I really like this newfangled VHF, with its one-touch mayday calling and DSC, which adds significantly extended range and instantly broadcasts your location and vessel ID at the touch of a button.

It's no EPIRB, but then again we ain't crossing oceans.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Just a reminder ref to cell phones if you are hiking, driving, or sailing inside a national park and some national forests there is no cell signal because towers are not allowed.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Sorry, no video. It was my first such project, so just doing the work took all my concentration.

Pretty straightforward though. EVERYTHING got replaced. I installed this radio and a Metz manta-6 antennta, using Times Microwave LMR-240 coax cable. My connectors were this crimp/solder variety from DX Engineering. I used this connector at the mast base. I also used (and recommend) this tool and this tool for stripping the coax. I used a micro torch for the soldering work, but next time I would try a soldering iron instead.

This afternoon I plan to raise the mast and see if it all works. ;)

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I have a EPIRB that does both radio freq and GPS/satellite transmission and a PLB on my PFD for single hand use and when my wife is with me as she is new to the rigging and it will be a slow process to turn the boat in the event I go over. I also always carry my iPhone (water proof) in a zipped pocket.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I have a PLB, EPIRB, Inreach Mini, and AIS SART. The Inreach subscription is only active when we plan to journey offshore or travel to places without cell reception. I also clip a handheld VHF to my PFD belt in case I goo overboard, which is also unlikely because I try to keep tethered (short of the lifelines).

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
  • Helpful