How many ODay 28s with CB and Tiller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2008
ODay 23 Niantic, CT
I have had my current O’Day 23 for over 20 years, and am thinking of moving to an O’Day 28. I moor and sail in shallow waters in CT and want the Keel/CB model. Also, I have always sailed with a tiller (60 years!) and wheel steering seems to take up too much cockpit space. Does anyone know how many (K/CB with tiller) boats were ever built? What are the chances of finding a late model excellent condition one …. e.g. no wet decks, no balsa core problems, no cabin/deck leaks …., etc … almost “showroom” condition? Upwind performance and speed is not an issue. Thanks to all for any guidance.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I don't know how many 28s were built with the standard tiller instead of the optional wheel, might be more than we think...... but some of those may have added a wheel later. I too have sailed with tillers and enjoy the simplicity, a few of my friends had wheels on their boats and you get used to them quick, but it is nice to simply fold the tiller up and out of the way in port! The K/CB was only offered for the first year or 2 of production (28 was introduced as a 1979 model) as far as I know, again...not sure how many were built. The K/CB seems to have been replaced by a 3'8" draft shoal keel in later years.
Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine might know, he was Parts Dept. Manager at O'DAY from 1973-89 and now runs a small shop selling parts for O'DAYs. A phone call is worth as shot (508) 644-3001.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
I.What are the chances of finding a late model excellent condition one …. e.g. no wet decks, no balsa core problems, no cabin/deck leaks …., etc … almost “showroom” condition?
I would say those chances are not great. Since just about every boat of that vintage (even those that are well-maintained) will have those types of problems, you will have to find one that has just undergone some serious renovation. As all of us who have ever looked for a used sailboat know, its the ones that are less than well maintained that come on the market most often. There's always the chance that you will come across that rare bird that has been meticulously cared-for, and is being offered for sale before the quality deteriorates; in my humble experience, that happens more often with high-end boats, not Odays.

Like you, I am a long time owner of an Oday 23. I consider my boat to be adequately maintained, but I can't keep up with all of the demands. I have some deck delamination around the forward deck vent, a leak somewhere along the port side (stanchion? port light? shroud tang?), and some crappy looking teak grab rails. Finding a 30+ year old boat that looks showroom new is indeed a rare event.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I think you're going to have a tough time trying to find a keel/centerboard O'Day 28. We have an O'Day 28 moored on the river in the summer with a tiller connected to a spade rudder and I'm assuming that it's a keel boat.
I think that you'll be lucky to find an O'Day 28 K/C with a tiller in any condition for it's age alone.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Draft question

I think you're going to have a tough time trying to find a keel/centerboard O'Day 28. We have an O'Day 28 moored on the river in the summer with a tiller connected to a spade rudder and I'm assuming that it's a keel boat.
I think that you'll be lucky to find an O'Day 28 K/C with a tiller in any condition for it's age alone.
You ask for keel/centerboard because of skinny waters, but you did not state what is your minimum draft depth is?

There are several good old boats that have 4 foot draft. Would you think of 4 foot draft? Or what is your minimum on a fixed keel?

If you want keel centerboard would you consider an Oday 26?

Ed K

Oct 20, 2008
ODay 23 Niantic, CT
Thanks to all who have replied so quickly today ! … that is far more than I would have expected! I appreciate that it may be hard to find such a boat in excellent condition without some wetness or other issues…. I need to think about this a lot. The draft issue is that I moor in a cove in Niantic, CT where MLW is about 3-4 feet so my ODay 23 is perfect. In an extreme low tide, I just nestle down in the mud a little. I often motor/sail just in the river or the river “delta” late in the day so can take the greater depth of an O’Day 28 provided I don’t close in to far toward shore, or go in the mud in the lower part of the river “delta” .. that has a dredged channel out to LI Sound and is plenty deep enough for 6-7 ft draft.
The O’Day 28 would mean being at one of the docks (very expensive!) compared to the mooring, and would be more difficult getting in/out since I often sail alone late in the day and return in the evening after the dock boys have left. The mooring pick up is easy. My current boat has been meticulously maintained and has no cabin leaks or deck leaks or softness anywhere.
I’ll keep my eyes open, and think about what you all have posted for me! I’m assuming I could have the wheel steering taken out, and replaced by just a tiller, and the cost would not be too exorbitant.
Thanks again.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
The only other suggestion I can give you is to check out an O'Day 272. Not the 272 LE, but the 272 which has a transom hung rudder with tiller and a wing keel. I sailed one several years ago and she'll go into some shallow waters. The cabin interior is beautiful on these boats. Check it out.

Oct 20, 2008
ODay 23 Niantic, CT
Joe - Thanks for thoughts on 272 !

The only other suggestion I can give you is to check out an O'Day 272. Not the 272 LE, but the 272 which has a transom hung rudder with tiller and a wing keel. I sailed one several years ago and she'll go into some shallow waters. The cabin interior is beautiful on these boats. Check it out.

Joe, thanks for the thoughts on the O'Day 272. I had looked briefly at the O'Day 272LE but it looked more like a "spaceship" than a real sailing vessel!

I'll keep you informed on how this all works out .. and thanks again to all who have repsonded!

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Hi Tony!
The O'Day 272 is a great boat with a nice cabin lay out. She's shoal draft but the mast on this boat is not hinged like your 23. You would need to have it lifted with a crane or build an A frame that would lift it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFhnYQmRYs
There are a lot of control lines and halyards that come through the mast and run to the cockpit over the cabin on both sides of the companionway.
My only complaint with the 272 is that it sits high in the stern which is not good for a guy with GERD and Barrett's sleeping on a quarter birth. Sleeping in the V birth section on this boat would be OK , I think.

The name Sea Drifter had slipped my mind and I didn't recorgnize you until just now.

Ed K. mentioned the O'Day 26 because he owns one. Right Ed? Hint, Hint.:)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Re the 28 and 272

The 28 is a MUCH prettier boat, no question about it.

The 272 was designed and built at a time of some duress at oday and in the sailboat building industry in general, mid 80s when they where trying to find ways to cut the cost of boat building as the industry and sales contracted. Transom hung rudder, tiller vs wheel, OB vs diesel, much less wood trim inside etc. I'd go 28 any day. But they are 30+ years old.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I never liked the looks of the 272 windows compared to the 25 and 26. Just looked at the 28 on sailboatdata. It does look much better than the 272. Thanks for the info on the design comparison.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I favor the O'Day 28 over the 272 myself. The 28 is a much prettier sloop I think.

Oct 20, 2008
ODay 23 Niantic, CT
Thank you for the continuing responses! I have emailed Rudy, and hopefully he can give me some definitive information! The ODay 28 is a much nicer looking boat than the ODay 272! The keel version of the ODay 28 can go aground at very low tide in the channel running out from Smith Cove to the Niantic River in CT..also the "upper river" can be shallow near shore. My ODay 23 can go practically anywhere .. I rarely ever bother to even put down the CB! I will call Rudy if he's not able to respond in a little while on how many ODay 28 K/CB models were built, and what the cost and practicality of removing the wheel and replacing it with a tiller might be!

Oct 20, 2008
ODay 23 Niantic, CT
I have just heard from Liz at D&R Marine who had spoken with Rudy Nickerson. She said that approximately 25-30 O'Day 28 Keel/Centerboard models out of 507 were built. She did not have specific documentation on this, however this seems consistent with seeing none listed on the many sailboat sites!

Again, thanks to all who responded, and to Rudy himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.