how low is too low (stern in water)

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
I had an equivalent of 6 adults (1 adult at 185 lbs[me], second adult at about 150lbs, 2 kids at about 120 lbs, one kid at 90 lbs, and 1 kid at 60 lbs) and had a wife snap a pic with all of us in the cockpit. the water level seemed to be above the cockpit drain. I have never notice that before. In truth, it was a low tide, so the keel was a couple feet up (and, therefore, back), buit I'm worried a bit. Is that too low? later, I had the 120-lbs kids go forward of the mast and the boat seemed to straighten up (and, of course, the keel was down and locked at that time). any thoughts? when I get back home, I'll post these pics.

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I had an equivalent of 6 adults (1 adult at 185 lbs[me], second adult at about 150lbs, 2 kids at about 120 lbs, one kid at 90 lbs, and 1 kid at 60 lbs) and had a wife snap a pic with all of us in the cockpit. the water level seemed to be above the cockpit drain. I have never notice that before. In truth, it was a low tide, so the keel was a couple feet up (and, therefore, back), buit I'm worried a bit. Is that too low? later, I had the 120-lbs kids go forward of the mast and the boat seemed to straighten up (and, of course, the keel was down and locked at that time). any thoughts? when I get back home, I'll post these pics.
If water wasn't coming into the cockpit through the drain, then your transom wasn't quite as deep as you had perceived.

But I'd still make sure that the drain hose is well secured!

P.S.- the through-hull, too. ;)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
But I'd still make sure that the drain hose is well secured!
I second that! We had a Mac in the club that almost sank in that situation. He was loaded up to watch the fireworks and barely got back to his slip. If it wasn't for some very generous members who slung (slinged?) lines under his boat and dropped some submersible pumps into it, he would have been resting on the bottom.
It turned out to be the drain hose was disconnected! Probably never knew it until he overloaded the boat. The boat was in pretty sad shape in general.

Feb 20, 2011
I second that! We had a Mac in the club that almost sank in that situation. He was loaded up to watch the fireworks and barely got back to his slip. If it wasn't for some very generous members who slung (slinged?) lines under his boat and dropped some submersible pumps into it, he would have been resting on the bottom.
It turned out to be the drain hose was disconnected! Probably never knew it until he overloaded the boat. The boat was in pretty sad shape in general.
I wonder if that Mac had the styrofoam blocks?

Slung. :D

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
The hose is fine and checked a month ago. same with through hull. I just wondered if it's "normal," or do i have another problem

Feb 20, 2011
The hose is fine and checked a month ago. same with through hull. I just wondered if it's "normal," or do i have another problem
There's an excellent "straight line". My family would have a field day with it. :D

Unless there's some water or other heavy stuff back there, it just sounds as if you were putting a lot of weight in the cockpit.

Maybe store more stuff forward in the vee berth?

6 people can make for a pretty crowded cockpit, too.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Just added a pic, y'all. and yes, that's me wearing a purple shirt (don't ask).
there is nothing stowed back there, just a sail, life jackets, and the anchor line with 3 feet of chain. And 3 gals. of fuel in the cockpit.

Feb 20, 2011
The pic seems slightly horizontally compressed!

Well, it makes you look taller.

Motor looks to be canted some, too, which will push the stern up a bit under power. What size motor is that, a 5-6 hp?

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
The pic seems slightly horizontally compressed!

Well, it makes you look taller.

Motor looks to be canted some, too, which will push the stern up a bit under power. What size motor is that, a 5-6 hp?
I don't think it is compressed (not on my comp, anyway). Yes, the motor is canted, but when I set it straight, it comes out in the waves. It's a 6hp mercury from West Marine.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
you were loaded heavy in the stern... and that is a normal attitude for the boat to sit that way when all the weight is in one end.
it should be all fine in fair weather and smooth water, but if the conditions get rough, a balanced boat is a much safer boat...

as for the styrofoam block floatation, it will make no difference in how the boat floats in an overloaded state, until the foam blocks themselves are actually surrounded and submerged in the water... like when the water intrudes into and fills the inside of the hull..

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
you were loaded heavy in the stern... and that is a normal attitude for the boat to sit that way when all the weight is in one end.
it should be all fine in fair weather and smooth water, but if the conditions get rough, a balanced boat is a much safer boat...

as for the styrofoam block floatation, it will make no difference in how the boat floats in an overloaded state, until the foam blocks themselves are actually surrounded and submerged in the water... like when the water intrudes into and fills the inside of the hull..
Agreed on all points, but MacGregor technical director told me, that it is safe to sail with up t 6 adults in "normal" conditions, which is what I had on board (an equivalent of it, anyway). My question is, if I have 6 adults (total) of normal weight in the cockpit, would this be a normal attitude for Mac 25 (with cockpit drain through-hull in the water)?

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
There's an excellent "straight line". My family would have a field day with it. :D

Unless there's some water or other heavy stuff back there, it just sounds as if you were putting a lot of weight in the cockpit.

Maybe store more stuff forward in the vee berth?

6 people can make for a pretty crowded cockpit, too.
LOL I just re-read your post and realized, waht you said...:doh:

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Last year in the sippy cup, I started with a freshly cleaned hull. We had 4 adults including my significant participation in the total weight. When we pulled the boat out to trailer home I could see the water line told a similar tale as compared to the boot stripe and it intersected the center of the cockpit drain hole. It dawned on me that this is what I should expect unless I start moving weight forward. So I moved the batteries under the v-berth. Of course I removed the head wall and door so I may not have accomplished much.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Last year in the sippy cup, I started with a freshly cleaned hull. We had 4 adults including my significant participation in the total weight. When we pulled the boat out to trailer home I could see the water line told a similar tale as compared to the boot stripe and it intersected the center of the cockpit drain hole. It dawned on me that this is what I should expect unless I start moving weight forward. So I moved the batteries under the v-berth. Of course I removed the head wall and door so I may not have accomplished much.
Aha! OK, now I feel better. Thanks. What I will start doing is to put spare sails in the v-berth. And other stuff Admiral brings on board...:D

Nov 19, 2011
We use the area under the cockpit for storage which is part of the problem. I took a lot of that stuff out this year. I think no matter what 4 adults in the cockpit will do it. This year we are going to have to sit on the high side by the pop top and shrouds.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
We use the area under the cockpit for storage which is part of the problem. I took a lot of that stuff out this year. I think no matter what 4 adults in the cockpit will do it. This year we are going to have to sit on the high side by the pop top and shrouds.
Well, if you keep your tail end outta water, that should add at least 0.5 kts to your hull speed (not dragging all that water with the stern). I learned that based on my son's Opti performance...

Nov 19, 2011
Oh, I don't doubt it. Maybe this year I'll have the admiral man the tiller and autohelm and I'll volunteer as rail meat.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
My question is, if I have 6 adults (total) of normal weight in the cockpit, would this be a normal attitude for Mac 25 (with cockpit drain through-hull in the water)?
some adults are heavier than others.... what is normal? the load rating on a hull tag usually assumes the people are about 150lbs each... is that normal? I weigh 205my wife weighs a slight bit more than half of my weight.... so maybe 150 is a good average.

6 people at 150lbs would add 900lbs to the boat. if its all in the cockpit, I would say it is an absolute that the cockpit drain thru hull will be below the water line.... although the cockpit drain itself may have a very small bit of freeboard left.... but in a rough condition you may get a bit of backflow up the drain when the hull heaves in a swell:D