How long has it been since you cleaned your unmentionables?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No I am not talking about the brown spot that just happened when you experienced that unexpected gybe...

I am talking about the sail boat hardware that nobody talks about.
IMG_1591.JPG
The blocks and tackle that sit out on the deck or hang from the boom, rain and shine sucking up dust, dirt, salt spray. We expect the hardware to be tough and always ready when we want it to perform.

Well Blocks and tackle need a little loving too. Not much is needed. Like the drum on a furler, give the block a good flush with fresh water a couple times a year.

You feeling especially nice, fill a bucket with a little dish soap and water. Dip the block in the bucket a few times, swish it around, Watch the dirt and grime fall into the bucket. Pull it out and flush it with fresh water.

Your block will reward you with another several years of faithful service. It will actually work better and make it easier to haul in that sail faster, easier, tighter.

Blocks need loving too.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
They certainly do. The Garhauer blocks in my mainsheet (2004 vintage) just recently lost all of those little bearings. Little black shavings all over the deck. Needless to say the mainsheet wasn't as useful after that.

Ponied up some $ to Garhauer for new ones and all is well. Had em in a week. Mostly match the other blocks but the stainless bits are are nicely shiney.

Always wash all the blocks when we wash the boat - every 2 wks or so.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I would add to include the drum and top swivel for all of you with roller furling.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Since I just pulled the stove to refinish some teak I thought you were talking about the god awful mess I found. I just cleaned back there 10 years ago, how does all the gravy, spaghetti sauce and coffee grounds coat all the hidden parts ?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Since I just pulled the stove to refinish some teak I thought you were talking about the god awful mess I found. I just cleaned back there 10 years ago, how does all the gravy, spaghetti sauce and coffee grounds coat all the hidden parts ?
And you thought “boat gremlins” were extinct.