how far are you willing to go???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Kivel

Hi guys, While I am seeking advice, I thought I would throw this one out to the group. How far are you willing to sail on your 170?? Most of the time I sail on lakes measured in acres, where you can see the boat launch from any spot on the lake and you have to turn around every twenty minutes or risk hitting someone's house. I have a couple of trips planned that involve larger bodies of water, specifically the Grand Traverse Bay and the Keweenaw Water Trail. My biggest concern is figuring out if it is a reasonable trip to make in this boat, or if it should remain on the dream list. I have no interest in being Lief Erickson or anything, if it stops being fun, I have been out too long. The Grand Traverse trips could be 15 miles each way or 25 depending on which way I go, the Keweenaw trip seems like 15 miles with a good hunk being motored. I could probably find a motel in each spot and sail back the next day. I know that eveything depends on wind an weather and how much my seat can endure, but how do you know if it is a reasonable trip thing to attempt?? Thanks, John

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
What is your gut feeling !

Hi John, Although I sail off the west cost out of Ventura Calif. and Long beach California, in the past I have always sailed within 2-3 miles of shore and may be 4 -5 miles up or down the cost. Since capsizing I stay close to other boaters so that if I get in trouble, most likely some one would respond as they did when I capsized. Its a good feeling knowing that help is coming ! I only have been sailing for three years now so I'm still got a lot to learn. I think I would enjoy what you want to do if I was sailing with a couple of other sailors and their boats close by. It is nice to be able to sail a straight course for a long period of time. When the condition are bad, I stay in the marinas. Again, like you say, the weather and conditions would be a big factor, so would my sailing skills ! Have a safe trip and let us know how you do

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
16 Miles

John, Most of the time I'm no more than probably 5-6 miles round trip as the crow flies. Last Fall Debbie and I sailed from Catawba State Park, out and around South Bass Island, and back one day. I figured about 16 miles. Probably further than that if you count all the water covered. It took us about 7-8 hours if I remember correctly. I wouldn't do it on a whim, but I had planned it for awhile and just waited for the right day. The right day just happened to fall on a weekend or I probably would still be planning. I would love to try Traverse Bay, but it's too far away for us to go and then risk poor weather. Well at least for a Bay crossing. I'm planning a sail around Kelly's Island this year from Sandusky Bay, but again it'll have to be the right day. I'd like to sail over to Catawba State Park from Sandusky Bay soon, passing the Marblehead Lighthouse. I need a good thunderstorm free day with nice wind. I'm with Glenn on the gut feeling thing, but I didn't have a gut feeling about getting knocked down the day it happened, so maybe I need re-calibrated. JerryA

J

john

thanks guys

Thanks guys, I have re-worked my plans so that I trailer more and sail less. We will be on the Grand Traverse Bay of a week, hopefully it will be a week of good weather, and I will have plenty of sailing. By pulling the boat out of the water, driving 5 miles and launching, I think I save about 15 miles of sailing. won't get to see the lighthouse from the water, but I have seen the postcards! should be a great trip. I am not sure how I can re-work the upper peninsula trip, but I have a year to think about it. John

Status
Not open for further replies.