How does the "Lift Top" work on the 1973 23' O'Day

Apr 12, 2021
O'Day 23 Soft Maple Flow Lake
So I want to buy a 23' O'Day and it has the "Lift Top" option. The current owner has no idea how it works. I can see a crank handle on the counter that has me concerned. I can find zero instructions online, which also has me nervous. I want a trailer sailer and I love the idea of the lift top, I'm 6'1" and it will give me a ton of headroom below decks. But if it doesn't work, I'd like to know. I really want the boat for my Camp. We have a nice lake and I want a trailer sailer for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 12, 2021
Welcome to the forum!!

What a clever idea: SailboatData.com - O'DAY 23-1 (LIFT TOP) Sailboat

Might purchase a manual, which covers the "pop-top" cabin raising and lowering from these guys: I Heart O'Days - Manuals
Yeah, I found that website. I was hoping for personal experience on how it worked. I've found some literature stating the "Lift Top" leaked and was controversial. So much so, they only manufactured it for two years. Wondering what captains thought about it and how it worked.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Holy smokes! That's a serious top! Most tops that lift, like my old M26S are tiny compared to this. Surely someone here has one.

oday_23_lift_top_photo.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd keep looking for a boat that fits your needs, if the current owner has no idea how it works chances are it is broken and trying to fix it could be crazy project. O'Day's leak that don't do this crazyness, this is certain to only add more.

Honestly at your height and limiting to small boats you are pretty much not going to find good cabin height. At 6' 1" you will still hit the overhead in my Cataline 310. I'm 5'11" and started with an O'Day 25 and had the same struggles, we finally went with certin requriements that lead us to our 310.

Apr 12, 2021
I'd keep looking for a boat that fits your needs, if the current owner has no idea how it works chances are it is broken and trying to fix it could be crazy project. O'Day's leak that don't do this crazyness, this is certain to only add more.

Honestly at your height and limiting to small boats you are pretty much not going to find good cabin height. At 6' 1" you will still hit the overhead in my Cataline 310. I'm 5'11" and started with an O'Day 25 and had the same struggles, we finally went with certin requriements that lead us to our 310.
I came to that same conclusion earlier. So I told the guy I was no longer interested. Very interesting design, but what convinced me to move on was more than just the leaking. Which according to what I could find was extensive and the number one reason O’Day only sold it for 2 years. But the big deciding factor for me was that, Apparently, setting up the mast and rigging is not a one man job. And for me, it would need to be. The mast actually connects to the keel and is not stepped, which makes sense considering the whole roof lifts up. To me that defeats the whole purpose of a trailer sailer.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
good deal, you have a requirement to solo setup I have a feeling your cabin clearance is going to be a challenge. My best feedback is find the best condition loved boat you can, these are hard to find but are worth it.