How does the boat rest on the trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sergio

The trailer for my Oday 22 has 3 resting points for the bottom of the boat, port & starboard and a keel rest. I'd like to know if the keel rest can be removed, allowing the boat to sit lower in the trailer. This would help it float off easier when launching. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks ~Sergio

D

Don Evans

I Have Similar Trailer

Sergio, my keel support probably supports 75% of the weight of the boat, and it sits at the axle height, about a foot off the ground. Any lower and the keel could bottom out on the road. Remove that support and you could be stressing the hull supports beyond their design criteria. My trailer has bunk supports for the hull, but is designed to cradle the hull, not support its full weight. Does your trailer have a tongue extension? If it does not, that change alone could help launch your boat by putting the trailer in deeper at the launch. Mine has a 10' extension. I wouldn't mess to much with the trailer design. Take care. Don

S

Sergio

Trailer

Don, I think you're right, that bottom support is bearing some of the boat's weight. And even though the side supports are wider, I read your post and decided to take a MUCH closer look. The trailer does not have an extension tongue, but it has tilt tongue. My guess is that the trailer angle improves when reversing down the ramp. Thanks, ~Sergio

M

Mike Basham

Deeper Is Better

Sergio, I have a 23' O'Day that I trailer. Mine has rollers on which the keel rests and long bunks on which the hull rests. It is very easy to launch and haul, as long as I can get the trailer deep into the water. The boat floats almost all the way, with only a little winching needed to pull it the rest of the way up. Guides above the rollers keep the keel centered fairly well. I do haul it with an Expedition, which has plenty of clearance, so as long as the ramp is long enough, I don't have any trouble getting the trailer deep enough. I've always been a little apprehensive about using the tilt option. The cut-thru in the transom is pretty close to the water as it is! Good luck!

S

Sergio

Trailer

Thanks Mike, those rollers sound like a good idea. I'm going to ask a trailer shop accross town for some prices. ~Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.