How do you tell PVC from Hypalon?

JackK

Aug 27, 2013
Oday 272LE Red Bank
Need some help, please.....

I'm trying to repair an old Valiant D-300 RIB dinghy. Valiant isn't sold in the US anymore and I'm at a loss for good information. I don't know how to tell if the tubes are PVC or Hypalon. I need to be sure I use the right cement to patch a few leaks.

Anybody have a way to tell by look, feel, or knowledge?

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
I do not know of any way to tell the difference myself but do know that 5200 fast cure works on both.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Do the seams look to be glued, or welded? Hypalon is glued, with lots of material overlap, PVC has narrow overlaps and welded impressions. PVC also shows fabric print-thru because the material is thinner.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I think PVC has plastic feel and hypalon is kinda rubber feel and heavier.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I do not know of any way to tell the difference myself but do know that 5200 fast cure works on both.
Yep- 5200. I patched an Achilles dinghy back in 1980 with 5200. Sold that one last year- patch still holding tight.

Patched my newer Achilles on the floor (Oyster shell cut) using 5200. THAT's still doing fine

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
Hypalon Glue

If you are still in doubt use Hypalon glue. It works on both Hypalon and PVC whereas PVC glue will only work with PVC.

Oct 11, 2008
- - Waterford
Need some help, please.....

I'm trying to repair an old Valiant D-300 RIB dinghy. Valiant isn't sold in the US anymore and I'm at a loss for good information. I don't know how to tell if the tubes are PVC or Hypalon. I need to be sure I use the right cement to patch a few leaks.

Anybody have a way to tell by look, feel, or knowledge?
All the higher-end Professional Valiant boats were constructed with Polyurethane fabric [Akron-TPE], but your D-300 was built with PVC fabric, which was thermowelded and featured their VITECH (Vacuum Injection Technology) hull.

It was specifically a Mehler-Haku PVC fabric (German company), which is really good quality and what I use for my Defender RIBs and my First Responder Boats.

Visited their factory in 2006 and it was very impressive. They even had a huge testing pool into which all the Military boats would go before they "passed".

But, I had more fun when they let us take the boats out to test them. That is me in the image, trying to break their 28' Patrol boat. I couldn't & I tried hard.

Stephan

Attachments