How do you secure your boom while trailering on the highway?

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
The method I inherited from previous owner didn't work :yikes:

Disappeared on the trip to the lake. Hunter 22 with open transom didn't help.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Yikes, sorry to hear that your boom got away. Bad thing about having a boat eclipsing your rear view. You can't see if your leaving anything in your wake...

For the 14 mile trip to the ramp with speeds up to 55mph, ratchet strapped tightly to the stanchions, cabin top. Furled sail is secured with Velcro straps AND bungees so I don't get a high speed sail deploy... Note: ratchet strap not shown in photo, but goes around boom and stanchions. Does not go around sail.

Anything faster, in cabin, padded.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
+1 on storing inside. Anything that can blow loose will.

Side note: Regarding not being able to see much behind you when towing- I towed my h23.5 about 700 miles one way from Canada last year. The front hatch/vent either vibrated unlocked or I forgot to lock it down on the return trip. To high up to see when driving. Ive never seen so many dead road kill bugs in the cabin in my life. Must have been a giant funnel for all the bugs hitting the front of the truck. Disgusting.

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
Cabin. Tried back of the truck for a while but the cabin made more sense.(I don't accidentally forget it at home)

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Cabin. Tried back of the truck for a while but the cabin made more sense.(I don't accidentally forget it at home)
LOL- that has happened. Towed my old Hobie 14 to a lake for a gathering and forgot the sail and boom. We didn't sail much that day :)

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
We are in Colorado. I will be on the lookout for a car with a boom sticking out the front windshield..

Just joking of course. Curious where you lost the boom?

Earlier this year I packed up my Hobie TI after a sailing session (plastic sailing tri) and did a really poor job tying the sail and mast (rolled up together) to the boat. Really poor job might mean I forgot to tie it down all together. Only about a two mile drive but the mast and sail fell off. I didnt notice they were gone for three days, by then.. long gone. Cost me over $2K to get a new set.

Aug 1, 2019
hunter 22 Colorado
We are in Colorado. I will be on the lookout for a car with a boom sticking out the front windshield..

Just joking of course. Curious where you lost the boom?

Earlier this year I packed up my Hobie TI after a sailing session (plastic sailing tri) and did a really poor job tying the sail and mast (rolled up together) to the boat. Really poor job might mean I forgot to tie it down all together. Only about a two mile drive but the mast and sail fell off. I didnt notice they were gone for three days, by then.. long gone. Cost me over $2K to get a new set.
i'm bumping up against $1,700 and counting.

i got a call.Fella said a boom came through his windshield and killed his mother in law. I said sorry to hear that - but is the boom ok?
{just kidding. colorado humor o_O )

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
i'm bumping up against $1,700 and counting.

i got a call.Fella said a boom came through his windshield and killed his mother in law. I said sorry to hear that - but is the boom ok?
{just kidding. colorado humor o_O )
Was he calling to thank you?