how do you lower the jib? (ProFurl)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ok....I missed that it was a new boat. For what he paid he should be hoisting the dealers butt up there. :)
Well newish at least. The OP didn't say, but they only started making them in 2008. He's in Long Beach, so very possible the sail has not needed to come off.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Didn't realize his boat it was that new. The reason mine wore was because there is a set screw in the swivel that holds the bearing in position. It looks like it backed out allowing the bearing to rotate within the swivel.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Didn't realize his boat it was that new. The reason mine wore was because there is a set screw in the swivel that holds the bearing in position. It looks like it backed out allowing the bearing to rotate within the swivel.
That happened to us, too, (LCI32, 2003 model) after it was up for a year or so. Ended up retapping and put a new set screw in.

Jul 6, 2014
Beneteau Oceanis 40 long beach
The boat is not new. It is an 08. I have never had the sail down.

If I understand the drawings in the manual:
- An aluminum tube surrounds the forestay. The luff of the sail slides in a slot up the side of that tube.
- The sail attaches to the bottom of a bearing assembly that fits around the aluminum tube that fits over the forestay.
- The top of that bearing assembly is attached to the halyard.
- When you lower the halyard, the bearing assembly slides down the aluminum tube with the sail.

Is that correct?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Yes. When unfurled, can you see if the jib halyard is attached to the top swivel cleanly....meaning direct from the masthead sheave to the swivel?

Jul 6, 2014
yes. The halyard comes out of the mast directly to the top of the bearing assembly.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Probably obvious, but if you go up the mast first pull the halyard from the mast - determine whether the problem is the halyard or the sail/foil.
If the sail it might be the bolt rope has swollen. Furled for some time & lots of rain?
Halyard - eye splice jammed on the sheave entry?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Here is a picture of what mine looks like with the headsail up.

Jul 6, 2014
This is southern California. I am pretty sure that the problem is NOT lots of rain. ;-)

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I'm with Jackdaw. I think it needs a little bit more muscle to get it loose. It's either that or the halyard has came off the masthead sheave and got wedged.

Jul 6, 2014
does anyone know how much clearance there is between the outside of the aluminum tube onto which the sail winds and the inside of the bearing assembly? Is it a very close fit? I will be back at the marina tomorrow PM and will lean on the sail a bit harder to see if it will move.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the great info.
-jon

Oct 6, 2010
Beneteau Oceanus 321 Carters Pt.
We had a similar problem with our B 321 with Profurl,We were preparing to remove sails and take mast down for winter.Un rolled jib released halyard, sail would not lower ,tried re tensioning halyard no luck.Took mast down with sail stilled rolled.
Problem was halyard had caught on top of guard at top of furler.
Suspected cause--when we went to lower sail wind at the dock was extreme (we were facing into wind) suspected the floging sail caused the problem.We have not had the problem since (4 years) Just make sure we lower sail in calm conditions.

Jul 6, 2014
Got the sail down today. The halyard was wrapped around the turnbuckle above the bearing assembly which prevented it from moving. We pulled some slack up the mast and unwound it and ot came right down. Not sure what caused it. Everything seems to move normally. I'll do a more thorough inspection when putting the sail back up.