How do you know when to replace the batteries?

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
This is a question I should not have to ask, but I will.
I searched the forum for answers and could not find.

We have a Beneteau 321 and the batteries are 8 years old. They are AGM batteries and they work well.

My fear is one day they won't hold a charge and I won't be able to start the engine on the lake.

I suspect there is a formula for checking the batteries after a certain period to see what the strength is.

Would appreciate any insight.

Chris
"With Gusto"

May 7, 2014
Beneteau 390 Tiburon
There might be a way to test them but if it will make you trust your starting power then replace them, you will have peace of mind for a few years.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
They are AGM batteries and they work well.

My fear is one day they won't hold a charge and I won't be able to start the engine on the lake.
Somewhere in there, there should be a starter battery all by it's lonesome and disconnected from everything else on the boat, and waiting to ONLY start the engine.

When away and on the hook for several days, the starter battery should be treated as a holy shrine and bowed to four times a day. It should be regularly watered. It should be revered. But it should NOT be connected to anything else on the boat.

Maybe a little bit over the top, but you get the idea. The other batteries may be showing their age but the starter battery should be pristine. And it's the cheapest battery you've got :D.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
8 yr old batteries are pushing the limit on lifetime. Regardless of how you tezt them, i can pretty much anticipate the answer.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Don's right. Add to this the info in the link I gave you which states that AGMs fail without warning.

Your boat, your choice.

May 7, 2014
Beneteau 390 Tiburon
Somewhere in there, there should be a starter battery all by it's lonesome and disconnected from everything else on the boat, and waiting to ONLY start the engine. When away and on the hook for several days, the starter battery should be treated as a holy shrine and bowed to four times a day. It should be regularly watered. It should be revered. But it should NOT be connected to anything else on the boat. Maybe a little bit over the top, but you get the idea. The other batteries may be showing their age but the starter battery should be pristine. And it's the cheapest battery you've got :D.
I agree and the cost of a new starting battery is much less then a towing service or in a emergency

Jul 8, 2005
Thanks for all of the feedback.
I like to have 'peace of mind' so i will get new batteries next Spring!

Chris
"With Gusto"

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A battery monitor should be part of your install. They connect direct to the battery supply and give you voltage and amp-hour at the battery. If you had one you could turn on a number of DC items and place a load on the battery. Monitor the resting voltage and how long it takes to drop the voltage toward 12.0. That would give your the answer to your question AND help you to properly maintain your battery storage. A required piece of gear IMO.

Jul 8, 2005
Gunni,

We do have that on the panel. The batteries look fine according to that, but I am just concerned that AGM batteries fail quicker.....

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
I'll second that! Two winters ago I had new AGM batteries installed by a shop, and they recommended install a BM-1 battery monitor. This month it really came into its own when I sailed 3 days straight with full crew in the Around Long Island Regatta, and the device showed I still had 10 hours of battery power left at the rate I was using amps before I would need to turn over the engine. I would've been much more anxious about remaining 12 volt power if I hadn't had this device installed.

http://www.nasamarine.com/proddetail.php?prod=BMN-1_Battery