How do you handle the heat?

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
We use a silver UV proof tarp.

I have ordered a custom Canvas tarp though. The thought being we can wet it down and get an evaporative effect.

We have found that even when it has been triple digits out in the shade it is tolerable.

Charlie Jones, I really like the look of yours. Ours is just thrown over the boom then tied low on the sunny side. (doesn't look pretty but does the job)

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We only day sail during the summer here in Florida. Sailing season really begins in October. If we do overnight we look for a summer rate at a marina. The sailing day usually ends about 3pm with a thunderstorm antway and the winds are generally light to zero.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Had a white sunbrella Bimini. Now have a burgundy Sunbrella Bimini. Much less glare under the burgundy- won't do a white one again

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Had a white sunbrella Bimini. Now have a burgundy Sunbrella Bimini. Much less glare under the burgundy- won't do a white one again
I had a green bimini and painted the top white. It really was the best of both worlds; the temperature dropped immediately and the glare, as you pointed out, was less. The awning I use now is white on top and blue under.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
We use a silver UV proof tarp.

Charlie Jones, I really like the look of yours. Ours is just thrown over the boom then tied low on the sunny side. (doesn't look pretty but does the job)
The cross pieces are jointed one inch pvc- it breaks into to halves which will then stow in a cockpit locker. I also have sun screens that fasten to the edges to block low level sun

two pics. a closer look at awning,and one of the shade cloths

remember- I live on the south Texas coast.

Attachments

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
Usually the boom tent goes over the boom and is attached to the lifelines with bungee cords to keep it tight and off the cabin roof. The foredeck triangle is also attached to lifelines with bungees to keep it off the foredeck roof. (Maybe even the jib halyard in the center.) This gives shade and allows any breeze to get under it. (It also allows the hatches to be open to catch any breezes.) Otherwise they just lay there like a blanket. If hung correctly, you should be able to get mid 80s down to mid/high 70s.

May 4, 2018
Catalina 25 SV Colorado
Another idea:
I use a 7'x4' outdoor advertising poster from a go-cart track that was given to us. The kind you see hanging on the fences at outdoor events. The go-cart track had tons of them and gave it to my son after a birthday go-cart ride.

It has a white backside which goes towards the sky, the underside has the adverts mostly just red color, and grommets for bungie cords.
I just grabbed it as a temporary measure one day to see and use, but its actually working well and has lasted all season. We put it over the boom and have used it in strong storms to protect from the rain while underway too.

It folds up small out of way too, better than canvas.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
cheap boom tent, tow pvc 45 fittings and 3 bucks of pvc pipe , couple three bungees i already had and free tarp from harbor freight
new sunshaded for boat.jpg

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
The San Juans and Gulf Islands have been sunny and cool since August 6th. Some days I've worn a sweatshirt. Some smoky haze some days, but not what I'm hearing Seattle has.

For those of you who are not from around here, it rains all the time. Everyday.

Ken

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
A cruise ship guide said there is so much rain, it qualifies as a rain forest!
We do have the Hoh Rain Forest. Its Olympic National Park and quite beautiful. A great place for a walk in the woods, but bring your Gortex.

Ken

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Here’s a nifty idea suggested to me by my good fiend and sailboat expert:
Sun shades like the ones used for car windshields.
B665BB95-BC64-435D-BBEE-4A375B464AF7.jpeg

You can buy a roll of foil insulation like Reflectix and cut it slightly larger than your ports, then pop them in when you leave your boat.
Oday 322s have large plexiglass companionway sliding hatch covers and “boards” that let in a lot of heat, so I made a removable sliding reflector and covered the inside of the boards.
180FBFB8-3617-463B-B2F1-FB87D9F5EE82.jpeg
DF336222-BEC9-4178-8E6E-B2099C052EB5.jpeg
Helps with the Arizona sun.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Alastair. I did a similar thing with the V-Berth hatch. When I forget to take it out at night I usually over sleep in the morning as it blocks the morning sunrise.
At least till someone bangs on the side of the boat shouting... "Lets go sailing".