How do you fill a CNG cylinder

Lyle

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter Passage 42 Pt Roberts, WA
First time having to refill my CNG bottles. Found a local gas station that has CNG but not quite sure how to go about it. Can someone run through the procedure for me?

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Stu,
Do you refill your own? If so, How much does it cost?

My marina has an exchange program but it's about $30 a cylinder. I've thought about setting up a refill assembly but not sure the savings would be worth it.

Thanks

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Richard:

We filled 4 bottles for about $8.00. A bottle will refill to 3000 psi in about 10 sec.

Dec 2, 1999
Lyel:

The filling station nozzle plugs into the filling adaptor. You just push the botton and it is filled. Of course the valve needs to be open.

Lyle

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter Passage 42 Pt Roberts, WA
Thanks for the replys. Did not want to blow myself up, LOL So I guess I need an adapter in order to use the filling station?

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Thanks for the replys. Did not want to blow myself up, LOL So I guess I need an adapter in order to use the filling station?

you may want to check with the filling station, before you source that adapter...

ours here will in no way allow you to fill anything except those vehicles that their gear works with. Especially small stand alone tanks, that they know nothing about.

the tanks are subject to gov't inspection, and many places even exchange, require the tanks to be up to date.

YMMV

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There is plenty of information in the archives; its use in small portable tanks is being phased out in favor of propane. Not an ideal situation for boaters, but it is what it is.

Nov 8, 2006
Beneteau 57 San Pedro, Ca
Steve,
Attached is a Youtube clip on filling CNG. 3000 psi is still intimidating to me. Is what you see in the video similar to your experience in filling up? I noticed the adapter in the youtube clip has a vent valve and the set-up shown on the C34 site does not.

Frank

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
Maybe a stupid question, but if the energy density of CNG at 3000 psi is about 33,000-38,000 BTU/gallon,and LPG is about 84,000 BTU/gallon, why would someone want CNG for small quantities like that used on a boat? I would think you'd go through a lot more tanks in the same time period, and getting them filled is more of a challenge, at least around here.

Not trying to be a caviler - just asking.

Nov 8, 2006
Beneteau 57 San Pedro, Ca
I believe that boat builders in the 80’s and 90’s were trying to make this “the standard” cooking fuel but it never caught. This may be due to the advancements of the propane warning devices/sniffers that increased the safety factor for propane. CNG is lighter than air and should not accumulate in the bilge and therefore somewhat safer than propane. My last boat had propane and I much prefer it as it is hotter, storage capacity is greater and way easier to find filling stations when cruising. It is a big hassle for me as I can just make a three week cruise on 2 cylinders. Propane will be my final choice when I get around to making the change. The problem is that some of our boats were designed for CNG and have no easy area to locate a sealed propane locker without taking up precious storage space.
Frank

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think one of the largest detractors of CNG is the high contaiment pressures required for tanks, hoses, valves and regulators. Also the compressing and dispensing equipment has to be stronger and more costly than that used for propane. That video posted by Frank tends to illustrate how careful one need be when working around a pressure of 3000 psi. There might be a safety public concern about the use of homemade adapters by consumer operators. Many filling stations do not allow the use of such adapters. As far as I know there are no regulations at present governing the use of the adapters but all it will take is one accident by either careless actions or a poorly assembled device to reverse that. CNG is lighter then air and tends to rise and dissipate reducing the danger for an explosion but it is still highly flamable and needs to be treated with care.

henryn

Nov 20, 2012
hunter henryn Maryland
The filling station plunger connects to the filling adapter. You just thrust the button and it will be filled automatically but the valve requires being open.
cng cylinder

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Very interesting. I can't count the times I've heard "I'd NEVER have a gasoline engine on a boat. You turn the key and BOOM!!" yet the discussion goes merrily along when it comes to propane. Gasoline and propane are comparable in btu's and both in gaseous form are heavier than air. Gasoline is stored at 0 psi pressure while propane varies between 30 and 200 psi. Propane needs special on board containment too.

I'm not saying propane should not be used. I think most everyone feels with the proper precautions it can be managed safely. The contradiction or even hypocrisy if you will is the terror gasoline garners from the boating public in general. There's no consideration gasoline can be managed safely.

Back on topic, I do the CNG tank exchange rather than refill. One of the benefits is the exchange tanks are kept in current hydrostatic test, critical with these pressures. Ask any SCUBA diver.

Dec 2, 1999
Just for you information we refilled out tanks last year (around Sept) and I am still using a 3000 psi bottle. We are planning on refilling some bottles this weekend.

I really don't think your comparison is apples-to-apples. The CNG tanks are very similar to a scuba tank. I do not know who many "gallons" or "btus" they equate to, but over a year with using the tank nearly every weekend for a year can't be beat for $2.00 or so.

It is a very easy task. It takes longer to load your credit card than fill the tanks. The pressure is automatically regulated by the pump system. Maybe we will make a movie too and see how they compare! :snooty:

Maybe a stupid question, but if the energy density of CNG at 3000 psi is about 33,000-38,000 BTU/gallon,and LPG is about 84,000 BTU/gallon, why would someone want CNG for small quantities like that used on a boat? I would think you'd go through a lot more tanks in the same time period, and getting them filled is more of a challenge, at least around here.

Not trying to be a caviler - just asking.

Dec 2, 1999
Frank:

The talent in the video did a good job of explaining the process, but it is really quite easy. The biggest problem is that we had 4 tanks that were were refilling so you need to do the credit card thing with each fill. It is made for a much larger tank than we have on the boats.

Most of the CNG fill stations are self serve so there is not an issues with us filling our tanks ourself.

Steve,
Attached is a Youtube clip on filling CNG. 3000 psi is still intimidating to me. Is what you see in the video similar to your experience in filling up? I noticed the adapter in the youtube clip has a vent valve and the set-up shown on the C34 site does not.

Frank