How Do I turn off my Catalina 310 cockpit lights?

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
PO probably hot wired them to a nearby outlet or AC light fixture. You'll have to follow the wires to find out. Putting a switch where you could reach it from the dock would be a great idea.

Apr 9, 2016
Catalina 310 South Haven, MI
PO probably hot wired them to a nearby outlet or AC light fixture. You'll have to follow the wires to find out. Putting a switch where you could reach it from the dock would be a great idea.
Yes, that’s what I’m thinking. Thanks

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
They are actually just forward of the shore power receptacle and breaker on the C310.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Alan - Did you guys replace the light units or just the bulbs with red/white? What did you use?
Curt the lights are a 2 pin bulb, you just-gently pull the bulb out and replace the bulb with a led red/white
I got our first lights from cruising solutions but going to try marine beam for our next set-going to replace 2 more.
They work great and are an easy install and not expensive.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
...you just-gently pull the bulb out and replace the bulb with a led red/white
Oh, oh. I thought you had some special led bulb and/or socket that switched between red/white. You are just swapping out the bulbs. Now I get it. :)

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Those cockpit lights are not on 2002 Hull #185, most likely something a PO added in.

We replaced all of our interior lights with 2 pin LED bulbs/boards we found on Amazon. Brighter light and no heat, they were about $2 each.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Oh, oh. I thought you had some special led bulb and/or socket that switched between red/white. You are just swapping out the bulbs. Now I get it. :)
They have some LEDs that will do both red and white (now even adding blue to the mix). As I recall they first turn on red, and then if you toggle them off/on they switch to white. Seems like a nice idea for a few places, but I never followed up on them.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
That is exactly how ours work, Flip the switch once its Red, off and on again its white!
Do not understand that technology works But we like it!
We use the Red when we leave the boat-out to cocktail hour sail at night etc. we researched blue and it did not seem to fit BUT for MOOD LIGHTING...Hmmm :biggrin:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've been thinking of adding some bling to my cockpit with speakers from WM that have LED lighting. :dancing:
My SONYs are ancient and are home to mud dobbers.

Sep 29, 2008
FWIW, they say that blue lights are better for night time vision over red.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
FWIW, they say that blue lights are better for night time vision over red.
Not so simple, and not always so. There was a recent thread on this topic with some good references.

Sep 29, 2008
I've been thinking of adding some bling to my cockpit with speakers from WM that have LED lighting. :dancing:
My SONYs are ancient and are home to mud dobbers.
Do you have the speakers that are mounted under your rail seats? That is what I have and mine are sort of due for replacement.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do you have the speakers that are mounted under your rail seats? That is what I have and mine are sort of due for replacement.
My rail seats only temporarily mount or I would block access to my lockers. Kind of a PITA. My speakers mount low and behind the helm.

Mar 16, 2018
Catalina 310 202 Carlyle, IL
My 2002 310 has them and the switch is under the power panel, e.g., rpm, start, etc. under the wheel.