How do I trailer a sailboat?

Apr 13, 2020
Hunter 20 Canyon Lake
So thinking about getting a cal 22, I'm only like 20 so I've never towed anything. What kind of vehicle do you need to pull it? Do you need like an f 250 to pull something like that or is an f150 enough. Also would I need to hook up trailer brakes and stuff like that?

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
My F150 with a 3.5 liter V6 ( it has a 7600 lb towing package) pulls my Oday 272LE without any problems. You may be able to go smaller with a 22 ft boat. Check the weight of your boat and then add trailer weight. Numerous SUVs should also be able to tow your boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO, Ryan. You've reached out to the right group to help you get into sailing and the towing of sailboats. I hope your plans work out for you.

There is a Website (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cal-22) that has basic statistics about nearly all production sailboats. It shows the displacement (weight) of a Cal 22 at 2100 lbs. Consider this as the minimum barebones weight and estimate a few hundred more pounds for equipment and rigging. Add in your trailer at, maybe, 500 pounds and call it 3000 lbs. Your F150 should have no problem.

Hope to see you aboard your own sailboat soon.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I’d figure on at least 3500 or more pounds for the loaded boat and trailer. It’s too big to tow safely in mountains and highways with an SUV that has a tow capacity of 3500#.

I’ve towed lighter boats using an SUV with 3500# capacity, so that’s my frame of reference. I would not recommend that for anything heavier than 3000 pounds. You have to be careful to not overload the rear axle.

I have a 2wd Highlander SUV with a #3500 limit and a 4-WD-on-demand Sequoia with a limit of 6200# for gross trailer weight. I use the Sequoia for a 3450# tow rig. I also use a weight distribution hitch that is compatible with surge brakes and anti-sway bars.

I’d go for a minimum of 5000# tow capacity for that boat if you want to trailer any distance
For just towing around a boat yard, almost anything will do.

Yes, the trailer will need brakes.

(Edits. Added more info and specs)

Last edited:

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Welcome to SBO. A F150 is just fine.There's lots of good information on this site for towing the best way and also what not to do. My first thought on what you should do would be to find a friend who tows a boat or camp trailer and ask him or her to show you how to do it. You don't need a CDL to tow a boat that size however if you go study DMV you will find rules about towing that you didn't know.
btw learn to how to backup using your side view mirrors ONLY with/without a trailer then practice that without turning around to see if your tailgate is still on the truck
ps. If you fly RC and find backing too easy then ask someone to help

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Your F-150 will tow the boat fine. Towing a boat is about balancing the load; the load is balanced when the trailer rails are parallel to level ground and the tongue weight is spot on. The load is balanced by moving the boat or the axle forward or backward. The majority of the weight needs to be forward of the axle (s). The thing with pick up trucks for towing is that have little weight on the bed and will tend to wheel spin when trying to get up a wet ramp. Make sure your shocks and tires are good and adding a little weight in the back won't hurt. The tongue weight is the weight sitting on top of the hitch ball and should be between 12 to 15% of the total trailer plus load weight. Adequate tongue weight will help control undesirable trailer sway. Check your State's regulations for requiring brakes on trailers. It is unlikely that a Cal22 original trailer may have brakes . Having brakes in optimum working order on your F-150 and driving slow and allowing proper distance between the vehicles ahead of you will go a long ways. Practice backing up the trailer, the steering wheel should be be turned in the opposite direction of where you want the trailer to go. backing up slow with minor corrections is the way to do it.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I towed my C22 with a 150 with the straight 6. A bit slow over mountain passes but otherwise fine with bumper hitch.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..............What kind of vehicle do you need to pull it? ..............Also would I need to hook up trailer brakes and stuff like that?
F-150 is fine for this size boat trailer, but if you are buying a truck suggest buying the highest GVWR diesel truck you can afford. Boat trailer should have brakes and recommend hydraulic surge, which does not require a separate brake controller vs. electric electric. My point of reference is pulling a very lightweight hobie catamaran aluminum trailer without brakes by a Ford 150 AND a heavy tandem ski boat steel trailer with surge brakes by a ford 150.

Feb 21, 2013
I might add to your thread title "How do I trailer a sailboat":

1. Disconnect the trailer lights electrical connection to the truck if you plan to back your trailer down a ramp into the water to avoid trailer light damage.
2. Secure the boat to the trailer with adequate number of "ratchet" straps.
3. Keep the wheel bearings lubed to keep the wheels from seizing up. You need a small lube gun and use waterproof grease like Indmar.

4. Suggest replacing the trailer wheel bearing dust cap with a "buddy bearing" to make it easy to lube with a cover over them to keep the road dirt off them.

5. You will find lots of Youtube videos on trailing small sailboats, including how to secure the mast, like the one below.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Even if you are just towing around the yard, use safety chains, all the time! Don't ask me why!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@DAVA390
If the safety chains are not attached, there are reasons why. If disconnecting trailer hitch from the tow vehicle on an incline without the chains still attached the trailer can roll backwards or downhill into the back of the tow vehicle. I have seen damage and injury over the years as a former dealer who also designed trailers. I never detach the chains until wheels were chocked.

As for chains, always with the hook pointing upwards to hole in trailer hitch vs other way to prevent hook becoming detached. Shorten chains by twisting and criss crossed to prevent to much sway should the hitch come loose from the ball.

If there is no safety chain in Winch stand
add one in the event winch strap break. If chain too long, twist to shorten so it will not hit bow when attached to bow eye when being towed. After going 10-20 miles pull over and check tie downs and hitch attachment. As for hubs feel for warmth because too much heat indicates issue with brakes/bearings-racers/lack of grease

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Feb 21, 2013
Yet another video of a vehicle without proper towing mirrors....
There is a legal requirement for you to have mirrors that allow you to see clearly an area that is 4 metres wide from the side of your caravan at a distance 20 metres behind the driver. Mirror should be far enough apart that you can see the wheels on the trailer, and that the sight lines converge no further than 200 feet behind the trailer. Since the OP was planning on purchasing a truck will likely meet these requirements because truck mirrors are generally designed for that. I have a Furrion rear and side cameras on my fifth wheel trailer. Something similar could be installed on a boat trailer, if required.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Legal requirement vs whats happening on the actual road. We see this all the time, particularly with light campers trailers behind cars. They cant even see the sides of the trailer, let alone down the sides.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
@DAVA390
If the safety chains are not attached, there are reasons why. If disconnecting trailer hitch from the tow vehicle on an incline without the chains still attached the trailer can roll backwards or downhill into the back of the tow vehicle. I have seen damage and injury over the years as a former dealer who also designed trailers. I never detach the chains until wheels were chocked.

As for chains, always with the hook pointing upwards to hole in trailer hitch vs other way to prevent hook becoming detached. Shorten chains by twisting and criss crossed to prevent to much sway should the hitch come loose from the ball.

If there is no safety chain in Winch stand
add one in the event winch strap break. If chain too long, twist to shorten so it will not hit bow when attached to bow eye when being towed. After going 10-20 miles pull over and check tie downs and hitch attachment. As for hubs feel for warmth because too much heat indicates issue with brakes/bearings-racers/lack of grease
I need to clarify my answer Dave. Years ago I had my trailer unhook from the truck while pulling the boat up the ramp, I reported the event here. Learned my lesson the hard way. Fortunately no one injured or major damage .

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
For frequent towing an F150 should be able to handle most 25' boats in my opinion. Please check specs of the truck, boat and trailer before attempting though. I've towed my 25' and heavy duty trailer with an Xterra. It's not a fun, nor safe experience even with air bag suspension.

1. Disconnect the trailer lights electrical connection to the truck if you plan to back your trailer down a ramp into the water to avoid trailer light damage.
2. Secure the boat to the trailer with adequate number of "ratchet" straps.
The reason for this is that halogen bulbs will explode if submerged in water while they're on. This is due to uneven expansion/contraction of the glass. LED's typically do not suffer from this. I personally prefer to keep LEDs connected so water doesn't get inside the connector. The best method of course is to raise your connector above water level before launching.

I will also add that sailboat trailers don't always have enough tongue weight. The marina I was at last year said they always put blocks under the back of sailboat trailers.
The first time I put my boat on it's new trailer I found out the hard way. When I detached the trailer the tongue went flying up in the air. The only thing that stopped it from tipping all the way was the safety chains. 375lbs of humans on the tongue was not enough to bring it back down. If you ever encounter this and human weight on the tongue is not enough you can use your tow vehicle's spare tire jack on the rear of the trailer frame. Issues with tongue weight distribution should be fixed before attempting to tow.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
To all reporting about incidents, not only I thank you for responding, but you are helping others who do not know from damaging their boats but mostly from injury.
It is a reminder from time to time that should come up. Thanks again

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
put blocks under the back of sailboat trailers.
15880120674054412977294563623940.jpg

This is a good practice in general. Even if you have plenty of tongue weight, walking around on your parked trailered boat can cause dangerous pitching. I read about a guy who had to crawl under the cockpit seats to reach an electrical connection to his sternlight. When he got all the way back there, he found himself pitched head down in a confined space. He was lucky to have help nearby.

-Will (Dragonfly)